Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone happy with their 6" jointer?

Anyone happy with their 6" jointer?

Hi All,

I'm in the market for my first jointer and have noticed that many here say they wish they had gone with an 8 inch jointer instead of a 6 inch. I'm trying to make the 8 inch versus 6 inch decision. I can get an adequate 6 inch for $400 (Rikon on sale at local Woodcraft now) or less if I can find a local used jointer. I can get the Shop Fox 8 inch parallelogram 4 blade jointer (same machine as Grizzly G0490) locally for $800.

Money is not a real big factor, but the weight is, since I have to move this thing down into my small basement shop pretty much on my own. The 8 inch one, at over 500 pounds is twice as heavy as the 6 inch. I'm new to woodworking and am not really sure how much I'll be using the jointer, but it seemed pretty handy in the last two classes I took. I have the DeWalt 735 planer (still in its box).

My question is this: Are there any beginning woodworkers out there that are satisfied with their 6 inch jointer and don't regret not getting an 8 inch?

Thanks,

Dave

Only thing I regret is not having a big enough shop to actually have an 8 inch jointer. Other than that, I've been happy with my 6 inch JET. I'm not sure about the parallelogram designs but the traditional jointers can be easily separated from the base and the motor can also be separated. Look at a user's manual or better a parts diagram to see how you might be able to take one apart.

I am happy with my 6" jointer as I only paid $250 for it new. For the price its accurate and so far dependable.

Would I like a larger easier to use one. Yup. But the one I have does what I need very well. If I were to get a new one I would jump to 12" though. Right now where I get my hardwood they will joint 1 face for me for .15 a BF. I only do that if I buy wider boards. The ones that will fit my Jointer I do myself.

I have ridgid 6" - it works fine, but I'm limited by the capacity. I just bought a Hammer 12" jointer/planer at almost 10X the price. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd make you a good deal on the Ridgid.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Yun-Fong Loh View Post
    Only thing I regret is not having a big enough shop to actually have an 8 inch jointer. ...
    That's pretty much my problem too. I was just using my PM54 (not the newer/longer 54A) earlier today. It's been a solid performer so I cant complain.
    Use the fence Luke

YMMV, but another suggestion, since your planer is still in the box, is to sell the planer and go for a 12" combo jointer/planer. That's probably the route I would go today since I can easily rationalize that it will take less space than a jointer + mobile planer cart.

If money is not an object I'd buy an 8" and hire a moving company, bribe friends or beg in laws to help you move it down. I moved my delta 8"DJ-20 down with one other gentleman, who just happened to have worked as a facilities engineer for a manufacturer, his job was to locate and setup large machinery.

We took the table assembly off the base, built a cradle around it, lowered it down the steps slowly on planks with a block and tackle, reassembled it on a mobile base. Remember gravity is in your favor going down! At no point did we attempt to deadlift this tool.

PS..when I sell my house it comes with an 8" jointer!

I;m happy with mine. I have the Rigid brand which is available at Home Depot.
    That said bigger would be better.
    I have a Yates American 12" in my garage that I just haven't had the time to get ready for use.
    Someday.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have a 6" Ridgid jointer. It works as it is supposed to. I would love a bigger one, a larger shop. a Sawstop, unlimited lumber, more time to work in the shop, etc................... and of course enough money to satisify my wants
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

10. I have the 6" Ridgid and have been very happy with its performance. Someday if I have the room, I may move up to the larger jointer, but for now it works great.

11. I've got an 8" and wish it was bigger... contemplating the relative merits of 12" vs. a 16" monster. Luckily space isn't an issue.

12. If the only issue is getting it downstairs, surely you can call in a favor on a friend or two?

The big reason I upgraded to an 8" jointer was to get longer beds.
    I had a 6" jet which was a great machine, but jointing boards around 6' was difficult, due to the shorter beds.

I got a 6" jointer, for two reasons. One - this was my first jointer. I figured I'd get some experience first before buying something bigger, heavier and twice as expensive. Second, room in my shop is limited, an 8" jointer takes up quite a bit more space.

I've been very happy with it, there are times I want to joint a wider board, but there are ways around that (planer sled, hand planing, buddy with a bigger jointer). One thing I did learn with the 6" is how important long infeed/ outfeed tables are. I can get by with some auxiliary roller stands, but bed length is just as important a factor as width. The other thing I learned is how frustrating setting jointer knives can be.

So, if/ when I do upgrade, I know what features to look for. I could not have learned that without first having a smaller 6" jointer. If I had bought an 8" from the start, it's possible I'd be kicking myself now for not getting a shelix cutterhead, or a disposable knives system, or parallelogram beds. You can sell a 6" jointer in reasonable condition on Craig's List for $250, so the money you're risking is small.

But, if you have the space, and money isn't an issue, and you know which one you want - go for it! I've heard of people selling their jointer because they found out they never use it. But I've NEVER heard anyone say they wish they'd bought a smaller jointer. That'd be like saying you have enough clamps.

Just my $0.02.

I've got an 8" jointer and I'm running into problems with that limitation. Unfortunately my show is so full, I can barely get that jointer in. No way could I fit a 12 or 16.

I honestly do not understand how someone could feel that they don't have a need for it... but I guess to each their own!