Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding Table in Walnut

Expanding Table in Walnut

Here's an expanding table that I made for a friend. She wanted a small round table that would go in her dining area (small dining area) but wanted it to be able to expand. I built this round table with two 12" leaves. The table closed is 41" in diameter.

The apron matches when the table is closed. I discussed this with her and she felt that she'd use the table closed more than open, and would probably have a table cloth on it when it was open. I discussed the possiblity of not putting apron parts on the leaves but I find that people hit their legs on the corner of the apron if the leaves don't have apron parts (to make the apron continuous).

I designed the legs "after" a picture she gave me of a table leg she liked. That leg was too "much" so I talked her into a simpler look with that long tapered section.

I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very handsome table. Is it walnut?

Nice job.

Very nice work, Mike. Do the inserts each have their own matching apron section?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Yerardi View Post
    Very nice work, Mike. Do the inserts each have their own matching apron section?
    The leaves have apron parts that match if you put the leaves in, in the right order. It's hard to see in the picture with the table expanded, but you can barely see that the apron parts on the leaves match.

The table is walnut. I really like the way walnut finishes.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    That is a gorgeous table. I like the way the proportions look both open and closed. Do you have an idea of how many hours you invested in it.
    Alan
    Support SMC, become a Contributor.

Very Impressed as well! Nice work. What was the finish?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Very Impressed as well! Nice work. What was the finish?
    I used a wipe on poly on the legs and aprons and spray poly on the table top. The reason I used poly on the table top is for durability. An oil finish needs to be redone every so often and lacquer can be marked by a hot dish. Since she wanted a satin finish, poly worked well.

Mike

Beautiful table, Mike.

Mike,

Great table.

Question: How does the owner know which order to insert the leaves? I was thinking of a couple inlay dots on the bottom of the apron so they aren't noticeable.

Example:
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Mike,

Great table.

Question: How does the owner know which order to insert the leaves? I was thinking of a couple inlay dots on the bottom of the apron so they aren't noticeable.

Example:
    That's a good idea but I'd only have to note one side because of the pins. Maybe what I'll do is write the word "Center" on the side of the two leaves that should face the center. That way, it'll be easy for the owner to know how to put them in.

I spent a lot of time making sure that they fit well both ways in case they are put in reversed.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a good "catch".

Mike

Mike, beautifully designed and crafted. Will become a family heirloom, to be sure.

You asked for comments so here goes. I would probably use some combination of aniline dye, gel stain and/or glaze to even out the color of the top. Just my own taste, I guess. Still, it's a lovely piece and your client must be very happy. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Johansen View Post
    Mike, beautifully designed and crafted. Will become a family heirloom, to be sure.

You asked for comments so here goes. I would probably use some combination of aniline dye, gel stain and/or glaze to even out the color of the top. Just my own taste, I guess. Still, it's a lovely piece and your client must be very happy. Thanks for sharing.
    Bert - thanks for the comments. When you see the table in person, the differences in the color of the wood is not as apparent as it is in the picture. Sometimes the camera accentuates the colors in the picture.

There are differences in the boards, but they're pretty close (when seen in person). I also notice some blotchness in a couple of places in the picture and you can't see that in person.

Mike

Very nice job! I love walnut, and that will make a nice dining table. I actually like the pattern on the leaves, not sure if I'd call it bookmatch, but nice!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Gorgeous table. What did you use for hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Gorgeous table. What did you use for hardware?
    Phil - I assume you mean the table glide hardware. I used commercial wood table glides that I had around the shop. I think I bought them from Lee Valley a couple of years ago. Long story but I was building a table at that time and after buying those glides they were too short. I bought another longer set for that table and stuck these somewhere in my shop. When this table came along, I was able to use them.

I've always wondered why the glides are marked "left" and "right". The left and right of the table depends on which end you're standing at.

Mike