Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Questions

Epilog Questions

After alot of research and months of lurking here (thanks for all the great info!) we (Sean & Kathy) have decided to purchase a laser. We decided on the Epilog Mini 24 in 45 watt. It seems to offer the best starting point for us to learn and experiment. We do have some questions:

1) We have read that you can haggle quite a bit on price, free accessories, etc. What is a realistic price range we can expect to pay? We have been quoted prices for the 2 closest dealers to us but we are really not sure how much we can push the negotiations.

2)Our time frame for getting the machine is pretty open so we are willing to wait to get the best deal. We have read that at trade shows you can get some good deals (show specials). Is this a good option and if we purchase one at a show will it be provided by one of our local dealers who will then provide set-up, etc., just as if they sold to us direct?

3)Neither of used has ever used Corel. We are concerned that it may take awhile to start using the machine while we learn to use the program. We would hate to be paying it off while it sits not being used. Is it fairly easy to learn some of the basics of Corel so we could start using the machine right away or would purchasing the program and learning to use it before we buy a better option. We are not computer experts but use a wide variety of programs everyday so we pretty knowledgeable.

Sorry for the long post. We apreciate any help/info that could be provided. Thank you in advance.

Sean & Kathy

Advice - buy Corel NOW! It may be your biggest learning curve and you can do a lot of learning prior to receiving a laser. There are a lot of valuable Corel Tutorials online.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I agree with Tim....

Get started with Corel now. I was a photoshop user, and the frustration with Corel was my biggest obstacle. I am now a lot more comfortable, and can make it do pretty much what I want. I still prefer photoshop for graphics manipulation, so I use a combination of both. There are many websites with free tutorials that were VERY helpful. If you need them, let me know and I will try to post you some links.

You are buying the same laser that my husband just got a couple of weeks ago and we are very happy. Our rep did negotiate on the price somewhat, can't say it was BIG savings...but the machine has been well worth it. We are already producing orders, and have been contacted by companies to do work for them! I feel that if we are being contacted after only two weeks, we are going to do well.

Let us know what you need....I've not been doing it long enough to be of much help, since I am only 1/2 step ahead you! This is a great source.

Lisa

Welcome to SMC.

Why not spend a couple of months learning Corel instead of wasting your warranty while your machine sits idle.

You will do better negotiating if you look at some other brands as well. Not saying to buy something else but get an idea of what they have to offer and get their prices. Lasers are not going up in price.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-22-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You mention that you already use programs daily. If you know Illustrator, you can output directly from there or import into Corel. Your learning curve would be far quicker. Otherwise, I would learn the software of your choice prior to purchasing the equipment.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

You are looking to purchase the same laser I purchased last year. It is a great unit and you will be happy.

Here is a trick that I don't see people talk about is asking your local epilog dealer if they have a demo unit they can sell you... That is what I got and it was a good deal in deed. Got a full warranty too. The good thing about a demo unit is they usually only keep them for 6 months then sell them at a discount. The usage on the unit your looking at will probably be very low. They will usually demo using the larger units due to the time it takes to produce demo objects.

Since you have time that you can shop around, work it out with the dealer while your playing with Corel.

Good luck in your venture.
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Mathieu View Post
    After alot of research and months of lurking here (thanks for all the great info!) we (Sean & Kathy) have decided to purchase a laser. We decided on the Epilog Mini 24 in 45 watt. It seems to offer the best starting point for us to learn and experiment. We do have some questions:

1) We have read that you can haggle quite a bit on price, free accessories, etc. What is a realistic price range we can expect to pay? We have been quoted prices for the 2 closest dealers to us but we are really not sure how much we can push the negotiations.

2)Our time frame for getting the machine is pretty open so we are willing to wait to get the best deal. We have read that at trade shows you can get some good deals (show specials). Is this a good option and if we purchase one at a show will it be provided by one of our local dealers who will then provide set-up, etc., just as if they sold to us direct?

3)Neither of used has ever used Corel. We are concerned that it may take awhile to start using the machine while we learn to use the program. We would hate to be paying it off while it sits not being used. Is it fairly easy to learn some of the basics of Corel so we could start using the machine right away or would purchasing the program and learning to use it before we buy a better option. We are not computer experts but use a wide variety of programs everyday so we pretty knowledgeable.

Sorry for the long post. We apreciate any help/info that could be provided. Thank you in advance.

Sean & Kathy
    Kathy:
    Welcome to the forum. If you've been lurking for awhile, you know how useful it is.

I have to say, and maybe it was my lack of negotiating ability, Epilog didn't haggle much when I bought mine (a year ago). I managed to get a rotary attachment, an exhaust fan and an air assist air compressor thrown in, but not a lot off the quoted price. However, the economy has and is changing daily, so they may have softened up some, dunno.

As to the Corel issue, if you have a basic understanding of graphics software and the difference in vectors and bitmaps, you can get up and going pretty quick. Corel does have a fairly steep learning curve. However it has a good help section and comes with a manual. Not to mention that their are thousands of things posted on the web relative to it. Epilog's driver is a print driver, so that's part is easy. So once you get a printable Corel file your ready to laser. Just print to the Epilog "printer". What kind of other software do you use?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I am just curious as to what kind of orders you are getting. Such as engraving awards, laser cutting plastics, etc --

RJ

Welcome Kathy & Sean! I don't have an Epilog laser, nor do I work in Corel . . . so I won't be much help to you. Many others on this forum will be a godsend to you though. Don't hesitate to ask questions and seek assistance. You've got a great support network here on the Creek.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by ron z johnson View Post
    I am just curious as to what kind of orders you are getting. Such as engraving awards, laser cutting plastics, etc --

RJ
    I am assuming that this was for me....but not sure. We are doing mostly business cards and small company signs at this time. We are also doing welcome signs, personalized with a family name. Nothing to get rich on, but not too bad considering the small number of people that have seen our samples. We live in a small town and word travels quickly .

We've also had a jeweler approach us about doing personalized charms...but that research is not proving very productive at this time. Not giving up....but that idea may take some time.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Kathy, I have to join the chorus of "learn Corel NOW" - when we got our first laser almost 3 years ago, I had never worked with a graphics program. I'm still not very proficient in it!!, and I'm not sure I ever will be. LOML seems to have picked it up better than I have, but we are both still babes in the woods with regard to working with Corel.

And, by the way, welcome to the Creek! The water's fine and the bullfrogs and tadpoles don't bite too much!
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for the advice. We don't use any type of graphics programs so I guess buying Corel and getting started with that before we get the laser will be the way to go. Any advise on which version and where to get it at the best price? We are going to start the haggling process soon so we will be sure to let you know how we make out with it. Thanks again.
    Kathy & Sean

Kathy, I haven't done a lot of searching, but Amazon has Corel X3 for $322.49, right now. I'm sure there are places out there that have it cheaper, but since I'm not in the market, I haven't looked that much. Don't get X4 for about a year, when they get all the bugs out.
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Mathieu View Post
    We have read that at trade shows you can get some good deals (show specials). Is this a good option and if we purchase one at a show will it be provided by one of our local dealers who will then provide set-up, etc., just as if they sold to us direct?
    Kathy,
    Epilog works through exclusive distribution so if you were to buy at a show, the distributor responsible for your territory would handle all the details. From my experience, however, I'd be surprised if your distributor is not at the show unless you are traveling cross/country to attend. Your best "deal" would also probably be from your distributor since we have a little flexibility on price, but factory reps or non "responsible" distributors to whom you might be speaking at the show, would seldom quote below the current "special" price. Lastly, get your distributor to give you his best price and promise that if a near future show offers a better deal that he/she will honor the better price.

I tend to mildly disagree with many about learning Corel before you buy your laser. I find that the incentive to learn is greatly multiplied when you have an output device that yields instant gratification and profit(which adds to the graification...).
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Agree With Roy

I agree with Roy. I have never had any luck just sitting down and learning a software. I can start that way, but I get really bored without a desired outcome.

CorelDRAW is a neat graphics program that can be pretty powerful. I tried starting with just the program, but it wasn't long before I had to try something that I thought was practical. Mid you, I am not very good at running it, but I can usually accomplish what I need to accomplish with it. I am sure I would be much better using it, if I used it everyday to design product that would go out the door.