Thread: Segemented section glue press.

Segemented section glue press.

Fellow Turners,

How do you, who make segmented bowls, HF's, etc. glue your sections together. I am doing a 10 section segmented hollow form and it is a real pain to clamp all the segments, even one at a time, and keep the segments from shifting out of place during glue-ups. If you can share your press or other forms of glue-up ideas, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken, your question is so broad that it would take hours of typing to answer. You might find my video, "Seggy's Dream" on Youtube to be a little helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRn_mzDYq-s

It's not a "how to" video, but you'll pick up many tips.

Good luck.

Malcolm,

What a great entertaining video. That gives me some basic ideas on how to make a glue ring press. That first Vessel was amazing!! Thanks for the response. Surely, there are others with some different approaches
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Well............ I had a lot of approaches....... all of which ended up being more expensive and time consuming than just doing it the way that Malcolm demonstrated in is book and video.

standard denial: I have never met Malcolm, can't afford his art work, and only went to California once on business. I do own his book and he e-mailed me once though!

Malcomb Tibbett's book, "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning", covers clamping issues very well. He covers clamping techniques for different construction methods (e.g., staves) and different shapes. Anyone interested in segmented turning must have this book. It's a gem.

Cary

Blog Entries
    The book about Ray Allan also gives a great step by step method of segmented methods. With those two books you'll be a pro in no time.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks for the advice. I will pick up both books.
    Regards, Ken

Glue Press

Here is one that I just finished, it's made from 1 1/4" galvanized pipe.

Rick Mellin

Segmented Bowl Glue Press

Here is my recently completed glue press. Since my lathe has a 14" turning capacity, I made it 15" square. It will serve my needs much better than the cinder block I once used.

Segment Bowl Press.jpg

Bowl Press - Close-Up - Nut.jpg

Here is what I use. Cost just over 100 at HF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Cary is right on - Malcolm's book and DVDs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    Malcomb Tibbett's book, "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning", covers clamping issues very well. He covers clamping techniques for different construction methods (e.g., staves) and different shapes. Anyone interested in segmented turning must have this book. It's a gem.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    Here is what I use. Cost just over 100 at HF
    I thought about that, actually, but I had an engine hoist that worked but wouldn't maintain pressure for more than a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I thought about that, actually, but I had an engine hoist that worked but wouldn't maintain pressure for more than a few hours.

I talked to both Elmers and Tile Bond about set up time and they both said the same thing. A piece that has been glued up can be unclamped in two hours. There is no need to keep it clamped longer than that. Now, I unclamp my glue ups in after two hours if I need to glue up more. I have had no issues.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

All,
    Its funny, when I started this post some six (6) years ago, that it would pop up again. After the post, I got Malcolm's book ( signed by him) which I cherish to this day. I learned a great deal of things from Malcolms years of experience, and I recommend it very highly. I also made a Glue press shown below that I still use. I have made several segmented turnings, none of which would win any awards, but all of them gave me joy........ A special thanks to Malcolm for his help and his amazing work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

If you have (about) the right amount of glue, and do a rub joint to make sure you have good coverage, it will 'tack' into place and then when you apply the clamps, it won't tend to slide around so much. And make sure your clamps are square to the piece or it (they) will certainly force it out of alignment.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...