Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing nailer choices...

Framing nailer choices...

Ok so let hear everyones experiences or choices for a pnuematic framing nailer. I might be getting into residential construction and need a real workhorse. I looked at Paslode, Bostich, Senco, PC, Dewalt and Hitachi and so far the Dewalt and Paslode feel the best in my hand. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    Ok so let hear everyones experiences or choices for a pnuematic framing nailer. I might be getting into residential construction and need a real workhorse. I looked at Paslode, Bostich, Senco, PC, Dewalt and Hitachi and so far the Dewalt and Paslode feel the best in my hand. Any ideas?
    Paul,

A good start would be This Thread

Rob

I had a PC fn350 roundhead framing nailer. Worked flawlessly and never a single jam. Gave it to Habitat for Humanity when I was through with major projects here and even borrowed it back a couple of times. It just keeps going and going with no problemos.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I have had my SENCO for 10 years and have never had any problems. Its performance / reliability persuaded me to buy a stapler, a brad nailer, and a smaller stapler from SENCO. Also have never had any problems with them either.

Second the Senco

The crew that framed our house used Senco nailers with Hilti nails, and Mikita Circular Saws.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith
    I had a PC fn350 roundhead framing nailer. Worked flawlessly and never a single jam. Gave it to Habitat for Humanity when I was through with major projects here and even borrowed it back a couple of times. It just keeps going and going with no problemos.

Stan
    Same here (except for the part about Habitat for Humanity - I still have mine.)

Ted

I took a break from my banking career a few years ago and built 14 homes over a summer using two crews....I bought all Senco nailers. They are the norm around here in the construction industry.

Andy

After using Senco and Paslode, I wouldn't recommend the PC anymore. Mine (PC) doesn't toenail nearly as well as the other two. I double the recommendation on the Paslode cordless. If you're in it to make money, I'm convinced that cordless is the ticket. Plus, it's lighter than the others (even with the batteries and fuel in) and works fantastic.
    I'm not sure about HD, but Lowes here has the fuel/nails for the Paslode. Pretty much everyplace has nails for the PC and Senco (same nails).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

The old Bostich stick nailer (not magnesium) is a real workhorse, though cordless is really handy. You don't mention them in your post, but I would caution against buying a coil nail framer-they are heavy when fully loaded.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You did say pnuematic but I 'm a confirmed Paslode Impulse owner. Going to replace the brad nailer and stapler when the money tree blooms. Great reliable machine. Smells a little funny.
    It's OK Rob! We like to reinvent the wheel and talk about our stuff.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-22-2004 at 6:20 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Thanks guys for all of your responses so far. Like I said I think I am leaning towards the Paslode as it and the Dewalt felt the best in my hands. The only concerns I do have is it is a clipped head nailer and of course depending on the area and/or inspector you could have an issue. I know the Senco's seem to be good but they are just so heavy in comparison to the Paslode or Dewalt. I am not a small guy but swinging a big gun around all day will really take its toll.

Tyler, I do have the Impulse both framing and finish and they are great for my work at home (plenty of it) when I am not in the shop.

The only concerns I do have is it is a clipped head nailer and of course depending on the area and/or inspector you could have an issue.
    This is probably going to be more and more of an issue, Paul. A full head nailer is a safer purchase, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I am quite sure in Earthquake and huricane country a full head nail is required. Natural diasters must exert some serious forces. Trying to undo some of my mistakes with the clipped head nails was a major undertaking.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    It's OK Rob! We like to reinvent the wheel and talk about our stuff.
    Tyler,

I understand rehashing stuff - it's quite common to think of something else, or have more time to type, for a response a second or third time around. It's just that I remembered a thread not long ago on this very topic. That's one reason there's a "Search" button up on the top right part of the page.

I have a Bostitch coil framing nailer. I haven't used it much, so long term reliability isn't something I can comment about. It's been more of a "trying to frame this %^&*or install that blocking with a hammer would have been a major pain and the nailer made a big difference. I got it on the HD clearance/recon table, although - other than the "recon xx/xx/xx" engraved on the tool - you wouldn't know it's not brand new. For me, the coil style has been important because the gun fit into some tight and awkward spots that a stick-style nailer wouldn't have. I believe that it shoots full head nails, although to be honest I truly don't remember. I'll find out next weekend when I pull it out to use for a small framing project.

The gun has done everything I've needed it to. I do need to replace the multi-fire nose with a single fire one.

For me, the issue of an air gun vs. cordless isn't there. The batteries in a Paslode would die on me before the fuel cell ran out.

Rob

Paul, Check the classifieds below for a Senco FramePro 602.

Thanks, Jim