Thread: carbide tools

carbide tools

I have only been turning for about a year and a half. I only do pens and small projects. I was wondering if anybody uses the round indexable carbide cutters to turn with. Thank you for any help.

I use the Hunter tool on end grain and to smooth bowls the finial pass or so. I also have one coming for my Monster HF tool. They work pretty slick but there is sort of a learning curve with them getting the right angle. Once you do though IMHO they are good. The other slick thing is when dull just rotate them. No sharpening. I have the #4 I use on big bowls and I have yet to turn it. Maybe 20 bowls so far.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I use a carbide router bit with a 1/4" shaft held in a drill bit extension holder. This is used for turning corian, antler, or truestone bands in pens.
    It "saves" the edge of my regular turning tool.

Larry

43 Norway Spruce Street, Stittsville, Ont, Canada
    This is not an answer, but a related question to go along with yours...

Maybe my info is out of date, but as carbide relates to metalworking, I have found that carbide will cut better (faster and not dull as quickly) in hard material, but doesn't give as nice of a finish or cut as smoothly as HSS for final cuts or in softer material.

Does carbide have an advantage over HSS and do the disadvantages that I've found in turning steel go away when turning wood? Does carbide give the same nice finish as HSS while keeping an edge longer?

cheers

I use carbide to reduce the amount of the "hard" material and then finish with my HSS tool.

Larry

Thank you for all the help. I have been using a round carbide cutter with out a hole so attaching it to a handle took some creative construction. I have been looking for one with a hole in it that would make it easier to make the handle for it. I have seen the cutters on eBay and other places but there are so many kinds and trying to find one that will work on wood just by looking at the descriptions was very difficult. I thank the cutters from Hunter tools might be the safe way to go. I did find a company on eBay like Hunter but they did not just sell the cutters. If anybody has a better source for cutters like this please let me know.

try this

This might help www.easywoodtools.com

A friend of mine summed it up beautifully: HSS cuts because it's sharp, Carbide cuts because it's hard.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I use C6 inserts for roughing , and finish work on side grain. I find the cast inserts w/ pre moulded edges not so sharp, i use the square ones and fine grind on a 120 grt silicon carbide wheel. if you can find some C 22 or better carbide grab it as the grain is very fine and takes a really nice sharp edge.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/respwkup/stuff/ for more carbide testing info
    John 3:16