Thread: Zero clearance insert question

Zero clearance insert question

I was quite surprised to find that my SawStop ZCI's slot had been factory cut to handle 45° bevel cuts also. That is, it's slightly wider than if it had been precut to only handle 90° cuts. Anyone else make their ZCI this way?
    Having used the saw for a while now I can say the slightly wider slot doesn't seem to really make all that much difference.
    In my case it's probably better this way mainly because I don't have to wonder anymore why I'm having such a hard time cranking the tilt wheel over!
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 03-23-2008 at 7:39 AM.

Humm How can it be a Zero Clearance Insert , if it does NOT have zero Clearance?

And I may not be following you very well , BUT ZCI are the bomb , they help with dust collection by some what sealing the hole adding to overall vac suction, they prevent a little less dust from just blowing back out of the blade slot , they support small stock way better , less chance of a flub up , twist off, binding stock issue. And a nice free ZCI will help reduce back side / down side chip out of the stock.

I make my own BTW.

But yes if you forget to change out teh ZCI it can make tilting the blade a $itch

I have .05" clear on the right side of the blade on my SawStop and .02" on the left when the blade is at 90*, so I do consider the stock insert to be a ZCI. The underside of the insert is milled is such a manner that it allows the blade to tilt without contacting it - the axis of rotation must be at the top side of the ZCI. I am not sure, however, how this can be constant regardless of the bade height - but it seems to be just that. In any case, it is indeed nice to be able to tilt the blade without having to change out the insert.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

That's how I run my ZCI's. I make 99% of my cuts on the right side of the blade. If your arbor is set correctly in distance from the miter (actually more to do with the axis of the trunnion) you will not get a difference in distance from the miter slot at a different angle setting.
    Check your saw. Put a straight edge on the blade at 90 and draw a line on the table with a pencil. Move the blade to 45 and draw a line again with the straight edge. If the arbor is in correct alignment there will be no difference in the lines and your distance to the miter slot or fence is constant. Your ZCI is also still acting as a ZCI on the right side of the blade.
    I have a PM66 but I think this is true for all saws, at least cabinet mounted trunion saws.
    Last edited by Fred Woodward; 03-23-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Mine had not been an issue until last night. I was cutting some tapers and the thin wedge that was coming off kept wanting to go do into the insert by the blade. I have a WWII and the factory insert. Also, if you have not cut a 45 yet and have only tilted it, lower the blade at 45 and then raise it while it is powered up. It will slightly trim out the factory zero clearence for 45.

The additional zero clearence inserts from SS have not been cut so they should be perfect.

Dammn I love the riving knife on this saw btw!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    That is, it's slightly wider than if it had been precut to only handle 90° cuts.
    I use my ZCI's as ZCI's and have at least one for each blade and a few for regular dado sizes. If you just want to prevent small pieces from falling into the throat, a loose blade slot would work fine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A idea came to me today while cutting dados. If and when I need to replace the SawStop regular insert I'll order the dado insert instead and cut it to only have slots for the blade and riving knife. This will do away with that large opening for the guard (still in it's original package).