Seeing Norm's new toy got me to thinking about trying to shove yet one more power tool into my shop. I can't afford or fit anything like the bad boy he now has, but I've been thinking about one of these two. Price is almost the same-the Bridgewood is roughly $590 delivered, the Grizzly, $610. I've got lots o' green in the shop already-I suppose it's partly a question of whether I want to try another shade.
I've read Terry Hatfield's review of the Grizzly-he appears to be quite happy with his. The Grizzly sure looks more substantial, but that might just be the photography. Any other folks with experience with either of these machines, thoughts about which you'd get if you had to chose? Oh yeah-what do you think about one of these on a mobile base, which would be a necessity. None of the Shop Fox models, which I have on my other big machines, would appear to fit without some modifications. Any other possibilities? Thanks, Tony
<img src="http://www.wilkemachinery.com/NewImages/Images256x256/BW-80A.JPG"> The Bridgewood® model BW-80A horizontal/vertical edge sander incorporates a tilting head assembly allowing the sanding belt to be positioned at any angle from vertical to horizontal. Sanding extra long workpieces is easy too, thanks to the 34” long platen. And because the platen is made of heavy reinforced steel plate ground to a perfectly flat surface, your workpiece will be sanded absolutely straight and flat. Results you just can’t attain on a sander with a flimsy, un-ground sheet steel platen.
• Easily adjustable or removable mitering head mounts on work table
• Easy, precise adjustments for sanding belt tension and tracking
• 4” diameter dust hookup
• Wrap around table for contour sanding included at no extra cost
New Base Design!
BELT SIZE 6” x 89”
BELT SPEED 3900 S.F.P.M.
TABLE SIZE 10” x 27”
FENCE SIZE 4-1/2” X 23-1/2”
PLATEN SIZE 7” x 34”
DRIVE PULLEY 4-3/8” DIA. - ALUMINUM
IDLER PULLEY 4-3/8” DIA. - ALUMINUM
MOTOR 2 H.P. 1 PH 110/220 VAC
OVERALL SIZE 48”W x 20”D x 48”H
PACKING SIZE 50”W x 17”D x 22”H
WEIGHT - GROSS 251 LBS.
This Sander was developed for those projects that require a large support area and need the workpiece to be moved around the roller. Specially designed small 2-1/8" diameter roller allows you to get into tighter radius projects like guitar bodies, curved chair legs etc... Table is supported in 4 positions to eliminate sagging and to provide a stable base while working. Quick belt release mechanism allows fast belt changes.
* Extended sanding surface
* Work stop
* 4" dust port
* Quick belt release
* Belt tracking and tension adjustment
* Handwheel table height adjustment
* Powder coated stand
* TEFC capacitor start induction, 1-1/2 HP, single-phase, 110V/220V; prewired 220V
* Amps: 20/10
* Cycle and RPM: 60 Hertz/1720 RPM
* Toggle safety switch with safety lock tab
* Power transfer: direct drive
* Shielded and lubricated ball bearings
* Welded steel powder coated base
* Composite with Formica® surface table
* Rubber idler roller: Shielded ball bearing, 2-1/8"
* Drive roller: Cast aluminum, 4-1/2"
* Table size: 24" x 42-1/4"
* Overall height (with handle up): 48-3/4"
* Table height: 33"-39"
* Length: 52-1/2"
* Width: 24"
* Platen size: 6-1/4" x 31-1/2", graphic coated
* Belt size: 6" x 80"
* Belt speed: 1800 FPM
* Approximate shipping weight: 250 lbs.