Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to attach a template

How to attach a template

Any suggestions for attaching a 1/2" mdf template to a set of 1 1/2" walnut table legs I need to shape? I already cut the legs to size on the band saw so leaving them long and using screws towards the ends. Hopeing to run them by a 2" patterm bit. I'll do it by hand if need be.

Thanks
    Bob

Double stick tape is common, so is hot melt glue.

I have a paslode framing nailer you can borrow if you want.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I use double stick tape, I think it is called turners tape that I get from Woodcraft. I hear that carpet tape works also.

Just make sure that you clean the MDF of and get all the sawdust of before you put it on.

You should make the MDF template longer than the legs so you can start the mdf on the bearing before the work contacts the bit. You could make the templete wide, leaving room for a simple fence behind the legs and use a couple of toggle clamps or shop made excentric wood clamps as hold downs.

When using a 2" pattern makers bit with the bearing below the work, and thus the templete below the work and the bit possibly higher than the wood, I prefer to keep my fingers as far from the bit as possible. So if you use tape, which does have great holding power, you might consider running the templete wide to leave room for simple handles to keep your hands a safe distance from the bit and control the cut.

I have used PSA double stick tape made for woodworking for lots of templets, I have had problems with some brands of carpet tape as they are often ment to be somewhat permanent and removal can be challenging, sometimes damaging the work piece.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...MMP=1013497759

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    You could make the templete wide, leaving room for a simple fence behind the legs and use a couple of toggle clamps or shop made excentric wood clamps as hold downs.

you might consider running the templete wide to leave room for simple handles to keep your hands a safe distance from the bit and control the cut.
    Can't envision this, If I need to shape more then 1 side does this mean multiple templates?

I've used hot melt glue in the past, and have bought some turner's tape to try next time.

Hot melt glue works great, but you have to be quick aligning the two pieces before pressing them together, as the glue doesn't hold as well as it cools. No such problem with the turner's tape.

At first, be very careful of the amount of adhesive you use. Too much, and you're going to mar your workpiece trying to separate them.

Carpet tape from the big box store works well.

The most annoying part is taking the second backing strip off without lifting the tape from the wood.. If your fingernail doesn't work, a craft knife or razor blade will do the trick.

Caution with carpet tape

I use carpet tape but had one bad experience and since have learned to use small pieces. It really grabs and can be very difficult to get apart.

My 2 cents worth...

Another vote for the double-sided turners tape. This stuff has amazing strength so I prefer to use a series of smaller 'dots' of it rather than longer strips which have to be pried apart later.

Well you could make one template with a profile on each side. The fence can be as simple as two blocks of wood screwed to the template to provide two points of contact for allignment.

Here's a David Marks DIY link that shows what I'm talking about, but I''ve made em double sided so you can do one curve on half the jig and the other curve on the other. If you are doing something like legs where there's fout of them it starts to make sense to spend the time to get em perfect and do is safe.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_tab...881244,00.html

I do a lot of templates and prefer using screws. On something like a table rail connecting legs.. I screw the template to the side that won't show. In the case of legs that will show all sides.. making it longer as you are considering will work for that.

Tape is pretty good.. but I had an expensive piece of stock slip once and that soured my taste for using it. Could have been bad tape or not enough attention to be sure it adhered... but since then I just prefer to use screws that allow no chance of the slightest slippage.

Good luck...

Sarge..

I've used brads for some outdoor furniture but am switching to double sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I've used brads for some outdoor furniture but am switching to double sided tape.
    I recently watched the episode of NYW where he made an outdoor love seat from teak. He used pins in his air nail gun to hold the template in place and routed it on his router table with a pattern bit after cutting slightly oversize on his band saw.
    - Jim

14. Well the list above from dbbl stick tape to hot melt etc are all great.

I use the old school methods of:
    1.) a paper glue joint where I use a sheet of paper as the break point between the glue on either side of it. ( gotta scrape or sand the glue off the work so you need to have the extra 1/64" of wood

2.) leave a little extra wood and build little lugs into the jig and just screw to the lugs.

3.) 16 or larger penny nails spaced every 4 - 6 "

I've also used DBBL stick and find that if I double the thickness of tape it works better -with more than twice the adhesion. This is simply because the extra thickness is like a cushion allowing the tape to get into the little voids. Ive also used foam core and that stuff is fabulous but you need a thin core no more than 1/16" thick preferably 1/32" or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Well you could make one template with a profile on each side. The fence can be as simple as two blocks of wood screwed to the template to provide two points of contact for allignment.

Here's a David Marks DIY link that shows what I'm talking about, but I''ve made em double sided so you can do one curve on half the jig and the other curve on the other. If you are doing something like legs where there's fout of them it starts to make sense to spend the time to get em perfect and do is safe.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_tab...881244,00.html
    Thanks, I can try the jig idea, should be able to come up with something suitable. I'll see about some 2 sided turners tape at Woodcraft, have had problems reusing a template when I've used carpet tape in the past.

Bob