Thread: newbie

Hello All-

I have been woodworking for a number of years and have assembled a an OK shop (table, bandsaw, router table, drill press, jointer, planner, dust collection and hand tools).

Anyway, my neighbor asked me to take his father's lathe. He got it when his dad passed and never used it. It came with 8 Scobe gouges and scrapers, a couple of face plates, 4 point drive, live and dead (?) center. I was pretty intimidated by the whole thing so I bought a full face sheild and a couple of books. Yesterday I stole away for bit and did a spindle. What a hoot. Very relaxing and totally unlike woodworking. Cool.

It is a Williams & Hussey Model L-82 with a 48" bed on a home made stand. set up with 4 step pullies 800, 1200, 2500 & 3700 RPM

I have some questions and need some help as follows:
    1) the head spindle is 3/4 inch with a flat and the tail is 5/8, neither has threads. What do I need to use a chuck?
    2) The tool rest is very cumbersone, it uses this little hex wrench to adjust the banjo, same thing with the tail stock
    3) Any ideas where I can get a two prong drive for the 3/4 spindle?
    4) Is it worth buying accessories for this lathe given the spindles?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Busy scanning the "honey do" list for tool buying opportunities.

Richard......Welcome to the Vortex! Take a photo of any money you have in your wallet....frame it and put it on the wall near your lathe so you will remember what money looked like.

I'm afraid I can't address your lathe as I'm not familiar with it. I'm sure some of our more learned turners will be able to answer your questions, however.

The inmates here shoved me into the Vortex two years ago and my life will never be the same. I always had a couple of hundred dollars in my pocket before that......ain't had that problem since. It is the closest thing to instant gratification that I've ever experienced.

Welcome to the Vortex!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Richard - Welcome! Be warned - turning is addicting!

I have no idea about your lathe - even a Google didn't turn anything up. Sounds like you may have to check with some folks who specialize in old iron. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the 'Whirl pool' nice to have ya. You might want to check OWWMdotcom They are experts on Old Wood Working Machines, and have a lot of info there. Pictures may help with suggestions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Welcome...both to SMC and the 'Vortex'!!!!

As to the lathe, I was unaware that W&H ever made a lathe...they are known for their molding machines...but they are still quite in business and you may be able to get some assistance from them at least on the history of the machine. (Assuming it's the same company) http://www.williamsnhussey.com/Merch...Store_Code=WNH

You may need to get creative to adapt things to the lathe as you describe it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Richard,

I don't know anything about your lathe either. I would suggest you find a local chapter of the turning club if you can. Attend some meetings and see what area of turning you are interested in doing first.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/...t=Chapter+List

From your description, the min. 800 rpm is definitely not a safe lathe for doing bowls or platters on. It is too fast. What you have is probably a spindle lathe.

Please be warned, the turning accessories, centers chucks etc., may cost more than some of the good entry level lathes. If you foresee upgrading in the future, I would suggest you don't put money on those odd size accessories now. They are difficult to find, obsolete when you move up and more difficult to sell. Some spindle adapter costs as much as $60 each; and they may introduce alignment problem.

Post pictures, someone may be able to help you.

For me I won't consider any lathe other than 1¼" X 8 or 1" X 8 TPI spindle thread size and Morse Taper #2 (no MT#1) on both head and tailstock (M33 x 3.5 and MT#3 only available on higher end lathe as option).

Unless you are interested in restoring old irons, it seems you don't like the banjo mechanism, you may as well get a fresh start.

BTW, most AAW clubs have books and dvd for members to borrow. I find learning from dvd is easier than books.
    Gordon

Welcome to the Vortex Richard..!!!! Be ready to have a wonderful time in the turning world and...be ready for opening your wallet to help things "along".
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Welcome to SMC Richard. I agree with Gordon. When you have a lathe that has odd ball headstock spindle as well as the tailstock when you buy accessories for it then decide to upgrade nothing fits. My brother had that with a lathe he bought. When he bought his Delta midi he couldn't even find adaptors to make things work. Good luck.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.