Thread: Photo album

Photo album

Hi everyone. I don't know if you remember me but was one of the many that asked for advice about what machine to buy. Well I made the big purchase and bought an Epilog. I am very happy with it so far. I have had it for 3wks now, and I am having a great time with it. I have worked mostly with leather and wood so far. I have attached some pictures of a Photo Album that I just completed. I am sure there is a lot of room for improvement, but for the first one it will work. Let me know what you think. Hope these picture show up. (first time doing the picture thing).
    CIMG0025.zip

CIMG0016.zip

CIMG0017.zip

Very nice work.

Where did you get the album?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Connie, The album looks great. I haven't yet used leather. I understand it smells bad when lasered. How do you get the smell out?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Way to go Connie! Very nice work - looks great! You might consider using a metallic gold paint for the color inlays, the blue is a little bright??
    Cheers!
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.

Connie I hope you don't mind I have put your pictures up so that people don't have to download the zip file to view them.

I think that they have turned out really nice. However I agree with Luke about the blue, however that is not to say that it wasn't the owner's choice and we all know, the customer is always right. Gold I think would have worked better. I also like the colouring of the engraving, as that is known by most to be a real 'lucky dip', your's has turned out very nicely contrasted. Well done!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

As the others have said, nice work Connie. I particularly like the back of the album. The blue is a little bright but I'm with Frank, the customer is always right. Keep those photos coming!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Boy I wish MY first try came out that well, Connie! I burned right through to the glue... Nice work, especially the continuity of doing several sides. Did the customer provide the picture, layout and color preference? Where did you get the album?

FRANK: You are the nicest guy! Thanks for unzipping those pix - my Mac does not like them at all.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks to everyone for your response. and thank you for putting the pictures up I am not very good and the picture thing yet. As for where I got the photo album I made it. Took a 3 ring binder, took it apart, and used two pieces of leather to cover it, and then sewed up the sides. I had to use the blue that is the costumers Ranch colors. I did wipe a little dye on the leather before burning, I think it enhances the color when burned. Thanks again.

Welcome Connie!

Great Photo Albums Connie!

That's awesome that you made them yourself...just gives me an idea...not that I sew, but a really good friend does! Thanks again for posting the pictures and for Frank to re-post.

It just proves once again that we can turn on the computer, go to SMC, and a fantastic idea is born from a newcomer! This is super! Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,
    Phyllis

Cool

I love the look, did you do any conventional tooling over the engraving? I have recently seen some veining done over the engraving and it really set it off. you might try cutting through the leather and laying another color under it instead of color fill. The filigree style works well with the laser.

I have found that spraying with vinegar/water cuts the smell of burnt hide after lasering. If you spend time branding you won't mind the smell (maybe).
    Last edited by Sandra Force; 03-25-2008 at 7:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

I did use a leather inlay behind it is not paint. It is called metallic blue. It is a bit hard to tell in the picture