Thread: Stuck Chuck - Makita 18V keyless

NE Mass

Stuck Chuck - Makita 18V keyless

My chuck is stuck - need help. It has a bit in it right now & I can 't get it to loosen. I tried to "cheat" using a clamp for leverage, but it deflects the plastic & still no go.

Drill is 6 months old - light weight Li-Ion.

Any ideas?

Caveman fix

Mine did that once, too. A downward hit with a rubber mallet trying to make the chuck spin did the trick. I am sure it's not good for the drill, but at that time my patience was running low !

Get a whole bunch of rubber bands and wrap them around the grip on the chuck to make it bigger. Clamp the bit in a vise so that the chuck can't turn. Use the elarged grip you created with the rubber bands to get a good grip on the chuck and twist, it should open. Once you get the drill bit out blow out any dirt in the chuck and lubricate it with a light machine oil.
    Lee Schierer - McKean, PA

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Contribute

I had a drill chuck on the same drill that started getting sticky. I told my friend who works at home depot about it, and he told me to just go to home depot and exchange it. I didn't believe him at first, but it worked. I got a new drill. I had engraved my name all over the old one so I figured they wouldn't take it back.

N.E. Ohio
    Places like the Dollar Store sell cheap rubber strap "grippers".
    Actually, Harbor Freight has their rubber strap wrenches on sale right now for $2.99.
    I keep a pair of them in the case with my hammer drill (keyless chuck).
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....