Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First All-Purpose Router Advice

First All-Purpose Router Advice

Good morning, all.

As I assemble my beginner's workshop, I'd like to buy a router to be used for all routing operations: by hand and mounted in a TS wing. From my research thus far, it seems the Porter Cable 690LR is a good starting point and a widely-used router. I seem to have found a good deal online for a new 690LR at $96 shipped (fixed base only). The variable-speed 690LRVS is going for $135 shipped (also fixed base only).

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Zayd

Zayd, I'd spend the extra cash and get the PC 890 series router kit with fixed and plunge base. It has VS and more hp and could be used in a table with larger raised panel bits. Yes, the variable speed is important when using larger diameter bits. The speed must be slowed down to prevent burning your workpiece. And since the larger bit has more cutting edge in contact with the wood, extra hp is a big help keeping the speed constant. It is cheaper to buy a kit-I know from experience.
    Last edited by Michael Gibbons; 03-21-2008 at 8:25 AM.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I'd have to agree with Michael. When I purchased my first router it was the 890 series. I did some research on the routers available and it seemed like the best choice.

While you are at it, I'd recommend picking this book up:
    http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Ro...6103305&sr=1-1

It taught me a lot about routers and also has a couple of good examples of router tables. Some are very simple to build.

One of the fixed/plunge kits will be a lot more flexible into the future. But, I started out with a cheap fixed base router and it did OK for me for a while. If it comes down to it, I'd rather be making dust with a lesser router than not have one. The PC690 is a lot better router than I started with and will last a good long time. At half the price of a kit, it might not be a bad deal. You will eventually want a plunge router or base. I guess it depends on what you plan to do with it, how sure you are about WWing as a hobby, and how much budget you're willing to put toward it. When you're starting out you have to balance getting the tools you want and need with getting quality tools that will last. It's not easy. If your budget for a router is $100, I think you've made a good choice.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Yes, VS is important, IMHO, for any multi-purpose router. IMHO, the best value for a "first" (or only) router setup is a 13amp VS machine with multiple bases. It will cover all situations outside of swinging very large panel cutters in a table, and it can even do that if you take extra care and very light cuts.

My favorite "kit" is the Dewalt DW618, but the PC890 series, the Makita, the Bosch, etc. are also good options.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

zayd - I went with the basic fixed base DeWalt in favor of the PC 690 because the depth is changed without having to rotate the motor in the base. Mine's a single speed. If I had the money, I would've bought the variable speed. Not because I turn 3" panel raising bits, but because anything more than an inch diameter starts to burn at 25,000 RPM. But that variable speed option cost like $70 extra for DeWalt. I also liked the sealed toggle switch on the DeWalt better than the cheesy (also sealed) rocker switch on the newer PC 690s.

I'm taking the modular approach. I bought the DeWalt DW616 with fixed base, less than $100 shipped.

Recently, I bought the router speed control from www.mlcswoodworking.com for $40. Now, I've got variable speed, and a power switch accessible from the outside of my router table.

Later, I will get the plunge base that also fits with this motor. If I need to, I can get another motor, probably a VS for the plunge. I'm a big fan of DeWalt's dust extraction with their plunge base routers. (I had a DW621 before with the shop vac attachment, and it was brilliant)

If you have the money, you should get the variable speed DeWalt or Porter*Cable multi-base kits. If not, you can build it up slowly and as needs require. You can do a LOT without variable speed.

Ditto previous posts. The pc 690 is a solid tool worth that price anyday. For edge forming with small to medium profiles and dado/rabit work this router excells. Its low center of gravity and compact size make it a pleasure to use freehand. We had several at my last job, but we probably had 15 Routers and 7 shapers total, so it wasn't the only horse in the stable.

If this is to be your only router it may become a serious restriction as you grow. The fixed speed and 11A motor will limit the size of cutters you can spin, and it won't be the most flexible tool in a table either. You don't want to spin a big bit at 27,000 RPM. Don't under estimate the usefulness of a plunge router either, I use mine more than the fixed base freehand (for mortises and stopped cuts).

If you buy this router you could buy an aftermarket speed control for use in a table, but that wont give you the amps you need for bigger bits. This tool is a favorite amoung carpenters I know who use it for the kind of work for which it was primarily designed. The combo kits are the best deal going, and IMHO the 2 1/4HP EVS soft start motors give you the best platform if you have only one router.

I would consider the 690 complete as is...it does what it does very well. Adding a plunge base won't help with the fixed speed and limited amps. If your budget allows a bigger combo kit I'd go that way as they will take you farther in fine woodworking than the 690 alone. You could certainly buy the 690 as a first router, learn the basics of its use and save for a kit down the road. You will probably never kill it, it will always have uses, but it won't give you the full range router functionality.

If you are going to use the 1/2" and 1/4" collets on the same router, variable speed is extremely important as you'll use the higher speeds for the smaller bits and slower speeds for the larger bits.

While I also have the PC 890 fixed/plunge kit, if your budget does not allow for a combo base kit I would recommend a plunge base as it can act as a fixed base, but a fixed base does not easily act like a plunge base.

Finally, since you intend to use it in a router table, you'll want to check the availability of under-table adjustment accessories. I have a Hitachi M12V permanently stationed in my router tables, and I bought a $20 extension that allows for super easy under-base height adjustments.

Good luck with your purchase.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

$96 for the 690LR is a decent, but not great price, so it's not worth jumping on until you're certain it's the best choice for you. With what you describe, it sounds like combo kit with a fixed and plunge base may be in order if you really only want one router. There are excellent combos from several top companies. The new Milwaukee is of particular interest to me, but I'd also check out the best deals on a Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, PC, Freud, Hitachi, or Ridgid kit. The Craftsman kit might be fine too, but I don't know. The Hitachi goes on sale below $120 occasionally, most run closer to the $200 range on sale. Buying the components separately is typically the most expensive route. Also, the 690 isn't as powerful as some of the 2hp kits. More power is better for table use, which is also where the VS comes in handy.

I like the Milwaukee kit because the BodyGrip design is very comfortable for handuse, the plunger is excellent, and it's a good table router with convenient features. The Freud FT1700 kit has excellent above table features like above table bit changes.

You will likely want two routers eventually...most of us head that way. Getting two routers is usually more expensive, but not always alot more than a combo kit. If you were to find a deal on something like the PC690 for < $100, and a Hitachi or Freud 3hp plunge router for < $130 (not that hard to do), I'd be inclined to go that route as opposed to $200 on a kit with one router. You don't necessarily have to buy them at the same time either...
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-21-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

While that is a good solid router, what all do you want to do with it?
    Larger bits? Then you will either need vs or a speed controler for this one.
    People got by for decades, before a plunge router, but it does make it easier.
    Pat Warner recommends, if you go with one router, you get the DeWalt 621 series (plunge, multispeed).
    Others like the Trition 2 1/2 HP.

Then there are the kits that get high recommendations all the time.
    Bosch 1617ev(various letters by kit), DeWalt 618 (616 is the single speed), Freud 1700 (now a kit).

With any of these, with no sale, your looking at twice your price. However, no matter which way you go, your apt to end up with more then one router.

Rob Will Guest
    Zayd,
    Welcome to the Creek!
    I would suggest you look at a router with the on/off switch mounted in one of the hand grips. It has never made sense to me how routers with top-mounted switches require you to remove your hand from the grip to turn it on.

Buy whatever feels comfortable in your hand.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    Good morning, all.

As I assemble my beginner's workshop, I'd like to buy a router to be used for all routing operations: by hand and mounted in a TS wing. From my research thus far, it seems the Porter Cable 690LR is a good starting point and a widely-used router. I seem to have found a good deal online for a new 690LR at $96 shipped (fixed base only). The variable-speed 690LRVS is going for $135 shipped (also fixed base only).

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Zayd
    If you can swing it, definitely go var speed. I've found there are very few times I actually need full speed. Aside from the issue with larger bits, VS allows me to have better control simply because I can feed the work or router at the rate I'm comfortable with. Reducing the speed also means less noise and less wear on the machine. FWIW routers with integral speed control work much better than plugging a fixed speed router into one of those aftermarket speed controls. The integral units actually incorporate electronics to sense and maintain the speed. The plug-ins simply reduce available power to the router, and at reduced power it will readily bog down under load.
    If possible get an additional fixed or plunge base for your router. Otherwise I suspect you'll quickly find mounting / dismounting it from the table to be a major source of annoyance. (One of many reasons that if you stay with this WW thing long enough you'll probably end up with a router collection.)
    - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    ...I like the Milwaukee kit because the BodyGrip design is very comfortable for handuse...
    Sure seems nice and MW quality is legendary. I'd buy it in a minute but I keep waiting for them to do something (anything) about dust collection on the fixed base. Even a couple of cheap plastic chip guards with a vac port (ala Craftsman) would be better than nothing.
    - Tom

Another vote for the Dewalt 618 combo - preferably the three base one. I only have the fixed and plunge bases with mine and often wish I had the D-handle one as well. I also have the PC 890 combo, but prefer the 618 for hand routing, as it has a lower center of gravity and feels better balanced to me. Just a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Another vote for the Dewalt 618 combo - preferably the three base one. I only have the fixed and plunge bases with mine and often wish I had the D-handle one as well. I also have the PC 890 combo, but prefer the 618 for hand routing, as it has a lower center of gravity and feels better balanced to me. Just a personal preference.
    Bingo. For a multipurpose router, I think the 2.25 horsepower versions are not too big for most handheld operations and not too small for a wide variety of operations in a table. There are a number of 2.25 horsepower router kits that have fixed and plunge bases that are comparable (DeWalt 618, Bosch 1617, Milwaukee, Freud 1700). However, I recommend you go the extra mile and get the DeWalt kit that includes 3 bases: fixed, plunge, and D handle (which is also fixed). The D handle is great and has the power switch right on the handle. Great control. You'd have the plunge base for when you need that. And go ahead and mount the standard fixed base in a table because you won't need it for hand routing as you'll be using the D handle. That's pretty versatile and the 618 is a great router.