Thread: mixing polys: Minwax over Arm-R-Seal?

mixing polys: Minwax over Arm-R-Seal?

I have a couple of questions for those of you who've used Arm-R-Seal Satin. I have a dining table top of white oak. It's been stained and the top surface has 4 coats. IMO it looks good, but am considering a paste wax over the Arm-R-Seal. Can I choose pretty much any furniture paste wax, or are some better than others when used with this varnish?

My second question is regarding the bottom of the table. So far I only have one coat of Arm-R-Seal on it. The plan was to give it 3 total, but it looks like I'll be running out before that. Can I use some Minwax Wipe-on Poly that I have on hand, over the Arm-R-Seal? Obviously I'm not concerned about the look since you won't really see it, but I just want to make sure that wouldn't degrade the protectiveness.

Thanks!

20191205_190605.jpg

I wouldn't use wax on a dining table. Water will leave white rings, fingers tend to leave smudges. If you still want to use one, high content carnauba wax is a good choice; something like Lundmark Clear paste wax would be a good choice. Wait for the ARS to cure at least a week and preferably 3 weeks before waxing.

No idea if the Minwax Poly will stick to ARS. I suspect it will if you scuff sand the ARS first, but that's just a guess.

John

I suspect that both Minwax and General Finishes would tell you that they don't recommend mixing the products. Of course, part of that is that they would rather have you buy more of their product, but part of it is that their reputation is kind of on the line with every finishing job you do. The composition of the products are different and they may not marry up very well; even after scuff sanding. That (and the whole sales thing) is why finish manufacturers typically discourage you from mixing brands/types of finish. All that said, I am kind of in the same camp as John that it would probably work if you sand it first, but who knows... It is worth having to strip, sand and refinish the underside if it doesn't work as opposed to just buying some more ARS?

Scott

I honestly doubt there will be any adhesion issues as long as you abrade the surface appropriately...which you would need to do even if you were using the same product after a period of time passes for best results. "Poly" don't like to stick to itself, IMHO, and that's not brand specific. I don't use it very often, honestly, but for many folks, it's pretty much what's available locally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I wouldn't use wax on a dining table. Water will leave white rings, fingers tend to leave smudges.

Thanks John. Then do you think the Arm-R-Seal is sufficient by itself, or would you recommend something else for a final top layer? I don't have young kids anymore, so supreme water resistance isn't so important, but I would still like to have some.

Arm-R-Seal will be fine all by itself. Wax offers nothing to the durability, just a nice feel initially.

John