Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completed Entertainment Center w/pics

Completed Entertainment Center w/pics

It's been a bit since I have been able to post any thing here, let alone read any thing. Between flying out to NYC for a preaching assignment and trying to complete this project, time has been pretty tight. I'm staring vacation tomorrow in earnest by leaving town, but I'll have a computer with me to catch up with what's been going on.

I used my first day of vacation to finish off my entertainment center thingy-ma-jiggy. The plans are from Woodsmith.

Overall, I like how this piece turned out, but getting to the "turn out" took a bit. First, the maple I got was a pain to work with for some reason. I've never had such problematic wood - ever! The tear out was enough to drive ya' crazy. Needless to say, the Performax got an unwelcome work out.

Second, the shelf holes sleeves I got from Lee Valley were poor. I should have never used them. I tried to cut a corner by not using the more expensive Rockler sleeves. Long story short, they wouldn't stay in the holes, had to be super-glued in place, and they really don't look that good. Note to self - don't cut corners.

The finish is sprayed lacquer - same as always. BTW, I figured out my fish-eye problem. Ever hear of Armor-All? Yep, spraying in a garage recently used to detail a car isn't the best idea. Another note to self.

Anyway, I have to deliver this tomorrow and then it's off for a short vacation with the family. See ya' round the Mill...

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason,
    Great work! Very nice restrained , functional design!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

That is NICE! The design doesn't overcome the wood...and vis versa. Well done sir.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

For a guy with a new baby and a job requiring a lot these days, you sure have a lot of time to turn out miraculous works of art. There must be some divine intervention here. Your boss has blessed you with many talents.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-24-2004 at 9:03 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Simple, functional design lets the natural beauty of the wood dominate. That's the way I like it! Excellent project!
    Tony

Nice job. I'm hoping to make an entertainment center sometime in the future. I really like that design.

You said it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    For guy with a new baby and a job requiring a lot these days you sure have a lot of time to turn out miraculous works of art. There must be some divine intervention here. You boss has blessed you with many talents.

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd figure the new baby would have you jumping!

Beautiful work, Jason!!

Keith

Outstanding Job Jason! Looks Great!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Beautiful work, Jason! I do have one concern, though. The holes in the back of the middle piece are for running wires, but will they provide enough ventilation to prevent overheating of the electronics inside?

Very clean design Jason. I like it a lot.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I am having a vision that you have more than one calling...that's a wonderful piece of furniture, Jason. Congratulations on its completion and on your great work. The photography is also very complimentary of the piece. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jason, as always (so far at least!!!), it looks fantastic.

Todd

Jason,

Wow, that is definitely an outstanding piece. I'm surprised and sorry that you had so much trouble working the Maple but the results are beautiful. What brand and gloss of lacquer did you use?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Thanks for all the kind words. We certainly have a busy house with the kids and homeschooling, but I manage to get some steady time in the shop - usually Monday's - due to my lovely wife. Regarding the infant, well... everything our he wants, I don't have Though, my diaper abilities are employed on occasion - few occasions depending on who you ask.

Paul, the people I built it for didn't have a lot of "heat" going into it. I thought about drilling holes in the shelves, but ended up leaving it as it was. There is a lot of space in there, I trust heat won't be a problem.

Kent, the lacquer I sprayed was Magnalac Precat by M.L. Campbell (semi-gloss). I've had great sucess with it. I believe Todd Burch shoots it too. I sprayed it (2-3 coats), rubbed it out, waxed it, and delivered it in the course of 24 hours. Not bad, eh?

Well, we're heading out for Grand Rapids - vaction hot spot for the jet set Tuinstra family. See ya' on the flip side...

Jason,

Simply FANTASTIC!!!! I love everything about it. I hear ya on the problem wood. I've been down that road too. The end result was well worth the effort. You should be very proud of it.

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]