Thread: Free Wood - Lumber to reclaim

Free Wood - Lumber to reclaim

Mods if this isnt in the right area please move it accordingly.

I am new here but have enjoyed the threads and have learned alot. I am just a newbie beginner and thank you for sharing the information that you guys have. So I would like to take an oppurtunity to give back.

I work for a generator company in Birmingham Alabama and have units shipped to me on what appears to be oak pallets. Some of the boards these come on are up to 10ft long and 2 1/4" thick. As of right now I cut them up and put them in the dumpster and it makes me sad. While this isnt high quality wood I cant see that it is completely worthless. I do not have a planer or jointer so I cant do much with it. It is free to a good home if you can come get it within the next week. I dont have a large pile right now but if there is interest I can always save it a little longer.
    http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...laimlumber.jpg
    http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...aimlumber2.jpg
    Mark

Hey Mark, I live on the south west side of Birmingham in Pelham, and I happen to have a planer and a jointer. I'd be happy to take some of that wood off of your hands, and I could pay you back by jointing/planing some for you to use for yourself. I'll need to get a metal detector to check the wood for bits of nails, but I've been meaning to get one anyway, and this would be a good excuse. Are any of the boards wider than 6 inches? That is the width of my jointer.

By the way, check out the Alabama Woodworkers Guild (http://www.alabamawoodworkersguild.org). I went to their meeting last week and joined up. Lots of nice people and they are just about to open up their guild workshop which will be available to all members. I haven't been to the shop yet, but I've been told that they have a lot of great tools there, most of which would be too big/expensive for the hobbyist to ever dream of owning. I'm actually going to the shop on Saturday to help run some electrical conduit and do whatever else is needed. They are trying to get the shop open by April 19th I think.

I think the wood you have could actually turn out quite nice. I think I remember Norm Abrams making a small table out of pallet lumber for an episode of New Yankee Workshop. It had a nice rustic look to it. I'll send you a PM with my contact information and we will see what we can work out.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Nice offer!

Stones in Pallets

Tim:

In addition to checking for nails, you should also wire brush the wood to dislodge any stones that might have been ground into the pallet. They will really eat up a jointer or planer blade.

Steve

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a quick question. The pallets that I have access to from time to time seem to all be assembled with a bazillion staples. Anyone know of a way to disassemble the pallets without destroying the boards?

What kind of metal detector would you use for this type of project? The same kind treasure hunters use?

Thanks,

Frank

Use a pry bar slowly

the wand type the use at airports

Tim has dibs on the first load.
    Tim I think the majority of it is going to be about 6". And thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Frank on the small pallets start with a thin pry bar to get started. Go slowly at first.

Ill have another pile to give away in about a month, that is if business is good for the salesmen.

I'd like to get in line for that second load. I'm in Trussville and have some projects coming up that Oak would be perfect for!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Springer View Post
    Tim has dibs on the first load.
    Tim I think the majority of it is going to be about 6". And thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Frank on the small pallets start with a thin pry bar to get started. Go slowly at first.

Ill have another pile to give away in about a month, that is if business is good for the salesmen.

Hey Mark,

I make it down the B'ham every couple of months. If you are still in this business later in the year, I'd be thrilled to share a batch.

10. still getting this wood?

Are you still getting this wood? And is the offer still valid? I live in Atlanta and work in Montgomery so you are real close to me.

Has anyone done anything with this wood?

I'll get on the bandwagon... I'll be in Birmingham in 2 weeks to attend my Nephew's wedding... no problem to tow the trailer up there with me!

I live in Birmingham and would like to get some of the pallet material if it is available. You can contact me off line if that is easier.

As of right now I dont have anything that is good for anything other than firewood. I think the manufacturer is cutting costs. But I always keep an eye out for anything useable. I will post here if anything comes up.