Thread: Useing venner slabs...

Useing venner slabs...

I may have struck gold....

...I have a gentlemen in my area who, at one time, owned/operated a venner comapny. He has since gotten out of the buisness. he has a large quantity of burls and highly figured slabs(3-6 feet in lenght, 3-5 inch thick and random widths). I can buy them for a VERY reasonable price.

However, I have been told that useing venner slabs(by the way..I would most likly be cutting these into venners, also(not as thin as that of a pro shop...but) and some will be resawed into 1 inch thick boards and used as is) is not a wise move. Apparently the drying process is diffrent from that of "regular" lumber. And that is my question: Is there an issue with this? Any experience? thanks in advance.

DonnieR

Interesting, Donnie. I am certainly far from an expert on veneers but I wonder why they would be dried differently? How many ways are there to dry wood? Kiln and Mama Nature, right?

Sorry, no answers...just more questions...and getting rid of that zero reply you've gotten thus far...I hate to see that!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I was told that they dry venner slabs quicker...which makes the cells tighter...but more "springy". Not having worked with them before I dont no(otherwise I would not have asked(duh)).....

...I think I am going to go for it...worse case scenario would be me sitting in my shop lookign at them all the time...and every once on a while wipeing them down with BLO.....

DonnieR

..PS thanks for taking away the "zero"..

This is what I was told.

I talked to a guy once who bought a bunch of this and he said they inject the wood with steam to drive out the resins and oils. Supposed to make the wood more pliable when slicing the veneer off the slabs. When the offal piece comes off the machine there are no natural resins or oils left just water to dry out. He said he had to stack and sticker it for 3 months but it dried quicker because of the water. Take this for what you paid for it, I never talked to the guy again so I don't know the results nor do I have any first hand knowledge of the process. Just a casual conversation. Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.