Thread: Thanks to Frank Pellow I can now post my shop lay out

Thanks to Frank Pellow I can now post my shop lay out

I have wanted to share my shop lay out for a long time because it shows what can be done with the little program Shop designer @

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/software.shtml

I have used this program many times as my shop evolved or to put it another way as I acquired tools.

My shop is small & the 12" RAS is turned sideways & the 12" CMS sets on top of the RAS table & the hard wood rack is on the wall above & behind & is of the 2x4 frame type with pipe inserted into holes in the 2x4.

I use the CMS for most of my work. In the future I plan on making 2 new cabinets about 5' long tool cabinet will replace the tool roll cab & top box to the left of the RAS & a new 5' cabinet will replace the cabinet now under the RAS. Then the CMS will set on top of the tool cabinet next to the RAS. Both tools will have their own top the will be overlay-ed with a common 1/2" piece of plywood that will tie both cabinets together. The left cabinet will hold mechanic tools & have a drawer for CMS wrench & screw drive & blades. The other will hold RAS blades & wrenches plus my Dovetail jig & misc other items.

I am in the process right now of building a cabinet for my Combination sander to mount on which will have inside a set of 100 lb full extension drawer glides that will lock in the closed & open position for my portable planer, just another way of compacting & making more room. It will also have a divided drawer to hold tools for both tools & belts & disks & planer blades

At the same time I am building a new cabinet to go under the Jointer so that the jointer fence will be just below the table-saw top.

The yellow item in the upper left hand corner is my 50 gallon home built air compressor. I think all the labels will indicate what everything else is.

The supply & tool cabinet is open shelf 2 section wide 5' long & just short of 7' 10" tall it has a whole bunch of plastic drawers like you find in lumber yards or hardware stores & that is where I got them. It also holds all my electric hand tools & glue, wood filler, stain, biscuits, dowels & misc items.
    I really like this because it is only a few steps away from the bench.

Of course unlike Terry Hatfield's shop everything is only a few steps away in my shop.

On the ceiling in front of the mechanic tool box & RAS is a shop built 3 speed air scrubber with a pleated filter & inside a filter bag.

I hung a short length of pipe from the air compressor over to the right corner of the supply cabinet & mounted a air hose reel on the ceiling. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

I store the 4 x 8 sheet goods behind the Panel-saw, when needed I just move the 12" Band-saw & slide out the sheet I need & slide it into the panel-saw & cut is down. The saw on the Panel-saw is just past the front of the table-saw so it is easy to get to. I only cross cut on the Panel saw & then go right to the Table-saw to final dimension.

As I get pictures I will up date my web site. I don't have a good camera but can use a disposable one & have a CD made of the pics so will be able to post the pics. My web site is way out of date.

I tried to edit to get all the white out at the bottom but am not sure how to do this in paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 03-25-2004 at 3:40 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart,

Very nice. How about cropping that pic a bit to get the white space out and the surrounding window?

Edit: Whoo-hoo...glad you got the pic fixed, Bart!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-25-2004 at 4:37 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Good looking shop Bart. How big is your shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter
    Good looking shop Bart. How big is your shop?
    Joe, the scale on the diagram indicates that the interior space is 13.5 feet by 23.5 feet. Thus, it is 317 square feet.

Bart, you sure have taken every advantage of that space. How high are the walls?

13.5 x 24.5 = 330.75 Sq. Ft. with a 7' 10" ceiling.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Looks like an efficient layout, Bart. I'm still mulling over what I should do to improve mine. Thanks for sharing.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    13.5 x 24.5 = 330.75 Sq. Ft. with a 7' 10" ceiling.
    D'oh! Guess one of these days I'll learn to read measurements. To be truthful, I didn't even look at the scales...Don't worry guys, I get my eyes checked next week! It's still a nice looking layout, Bart.