Thread: Barracuda CSC500K Alignment Issue

Barracuda CSC500K Alignment Issue

So I bought the PSI Barracuda CSC500K a week and a half ago but between the time I placed the order and received the chuck, I had torn apart the small box that my mini lathe was mounted to and built a rolling cabinet for the lathe. I just finished the cabinet and mounted the lathe to it and when I put the chuck on and checked it, there's some really bad wobble in this thing. The spindle has no wobble in it (at least that is noticeable), but as soon as I mount the chuck, the bowls that I had done the initial outer profile on prior to the new chuck, when placed in the chuck are really off. I've spent a few hours attempting to get everything aligned properly, but success is not with me today.

I took a video with my dial indicator placed on the inside of the jaws to show how much of an alignment issue I've got. This is the same amount when checking all other places of the chuck as well. Is it that I just received a bad chuck or is this the standard for this chuck? I would hope not as this is not what I would expect from a $130 or so chuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWO2OmkB_rU

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm within the 30 day return period, so I could exchange it for a new one or get my money back and look elsewhere?

You said you measure that run-out anywhere on the chuck, do you have a washer behind the chuck? They are known to cause run-out sometimes. A chuck typically registers against the shoulder at the base of the spindle, although some register against the very end of the spindle. Check those areas of the spindle for run-out, and mount the factory faceplate and check it. Also check that there is no trash in those areas.

I have a friend that uses that chuck for turning miniatures (very high RPM) and recommends it for that. If you can not find any other issues, contact PSI.

If the spindle/faceplate display run-out contact the lathe manufacturer.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

If it has an insert make sure it is seated properly. I'm not familiar with that chuck but did have some problems with an insert on a Oneway talon chuck.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    If it has an insert make sure it is seated properly. I'm not familiar with that chuck but did have some problems with an insert on a Oneway talon chuck.
    No insert - it is threaded 1"-8tpi, but has an adapter to use it with 3/4"-16TPI also. This is standard on the Barracuda chucks.

I've never purchased a PSI chuck nor used one on one of my own lathes, but I can say that my one attempt at buying a PSI faceplate substantially soured me on their quality control. It had a substantial wobble in it when the other two faceplates I owned at the time ran as true as you could want. I called them and returned it for an exchange. Not only did the second one they sent me also have a wobble (albeit less of one), they sent me an email to say that they tested the one I sent back and it was within their accuracy standards.

I do own a spindle adapter (1 1/4" to 1") that they made and it seems to be pretty good from the few times I have used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    You said you measure that run-out anywhere on the chuck, do you have a washer behind the chuck? They are known to cause run-out sometimes. A chuck typically registers against the shoulder at the base of the spindle, although some register against the very end of the spindle. Check those areas of the spindle for run-out, and mount the factory faceplate and check it. Also check that there is no trash in those areas.

I have a friend that uses that chuck for turning miniatures (very high RPM) and recommends it for that. If you can not find any other issues, contact PSI.

If the spindle/faceplate display run-out contact the lathe manufacturer.
    The spindle doesn't have any runout, but if it did, I'm not sure Bonnie Klein's mini lathe warranty is that good

As for the washer behind the chuck, are you asking if I put a washer there or if it's something with the PSI chuck? I'm still new to turning, so may not know exactly what is being referenced. If asking if I put a washer behind the chuck, I didn't.

What brand of lathe? Have you checked with the dial indicator for run out on the spindle backing? When you screw down the chuck it hits the spindle backer, does it have any run out?

Well, if your old chucks didn't have any run out, and this one does, that would indicate a quality control issue. If you can, take it to friend's house and see what it does on their lathe. If it still had run out, then it is bad. Penn State isn't known for high quality.

robo hippy

I just bought the same chuck, and I have no issues with it. But I'm not using the adapter. I'd say check the adapter for runout, although I couldn't tell you how other than looking at it and spinning the lathe with just the adapter. Move the tool rest near the adapter and see if it's wobbling?

130 bucks is cheap for a chuck with all those jaws. So I guess you get what you pay for. I like it, it does small turnings. No other small chuck out there that is cheap. Maybe the only small chuck..... You could send it back.

CSUSA sells the Apprentice Mini4-Jaw chuck for the same price as the PSI. I think it is basically the same chuck with a different name, but it uses a square key which I prefer. Since I believe the Bonny Klien lathe is actually a TAIG lathe, check out Lee Valley they carry TAIG specific chucks, collets, etc.

David, are you sure that the threads are the same? I mean, are the threads on the adapter the same as the threads on the spindle. The tpi have to be the same, or, you could get a wobble at high speeds, the same as you could if it was cross threaded.
    Len