Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: powermatic vs one way

One additional consideration when choosing between PM and Oneway lathes is that the lathe itself will not be the only thing you need to buy. Chucks, turning tools, faceplates, live centers...... perhaps later on, bowl or spindle steadies, vacuum pumps etc. Depending on what you want, the total cost of these can far supersede the cost of the lathe itself. The 2436 is substantially more expensive than the PM and those whom I know that have it generally love it. Furthermore, Oneway tech support is absolutely great. I'm not very skilled so I happen to really, really like my PM. I also rely greatly on my local woodworking store which stocks PM and can order optional equipment for me easily.
    I would add, as have others in this thread, that the price difference is comparable to Mercedes vs. Chevy, but the quality difference is more comparable to Lexus vs. Camry.
    Luck, Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Here are lots of reviews

Jerry Hall

When I bought my PM some 8 plus years ago, the only other big lathe out there that I knew of was the Nichols lathe. A nice piece of machinery, but at least twice the cost (now he is out of business because he lost a lot of sales to Oneway). Now I am stepping up to a Robust (should be here in 3 weeks or so). I didn't even consider the Oneway. I have turned on the smaller 12 inch Oneway, and it is a nice lathe, but not big enough. With my turning room, the lathe has to sit in a corner, so I have to have the sliding headstock. Do I need the extra throw? Not really. Do I need the 3 hp? Yes. Do I need the extra weight? Yes. I do prefer the Made in America. I do like the legs that extend so I don't have to put the lathe up on a 4 x 4 to get it to height. Do I need the tilt away tailstock thing? No. The only other lathe I considered is the VB36. But, even with the extended rails for the tailstock, the design said 'bowl lathe' to me, and I do turn spindles and hollowforms that need the longer bed.
    soon to be:
    Robust hippy

If I had the money to spend on a lathe, I'd own a PM3520. I've turned on one quite a bit and love them. It offers the best bang for the buck IMO.

I also have a friend that upgraded to a Oneway 2436 from a PM3520. He turns large hats and didn't like the fixed headstock on the PM4224. The Oneway is very well made and is honestly a step up from the PM but it should be at 2x the price.

They are definitely not in the same boat as a Robust lathe though. Everything is so much smoother, more quiet, and better designed on the Robust as I've stated previously. I guess I got a little spoiled (or is it spoled?) turning on Chris Hartley's "Beauty" for 20 minutes.

Reed,
    Congrats on the upgrade Robo, I mean Robust Hippy!!!!

Blog Entries
    The thing is I am not considering buying a Oneway 2436 lathe. If I bought a Oneway it would be the 1224 or 1236SD. The Oneways I am looking at are $2400-$3000. I am confused about the Powermatic 3520B because someone above is saying one can be bought for $2500. The list price I see at Woodcraft is $3,999. Am I missing something here? Granted the Powermatic has a 2hp motor, 34 1/2" between centers and a 20" swing. The thing is, I do not think I need the larger motor and additional room on the lathe. I may be wrong here but so far I don't think so.

My main interest is turning spindles under 24". I prefer to work with hand tools when possible. If/when I decide to make larger bowls or plates I will make them in more serviceable rectangular shapes using: Adze, Axe, Inshave, travisher and my collection of heavy duty Swedish bowl gouges. I enjoy using the large hand carving tools for making pieces that I can carve into more artistic shapes. I may want to turn some round bowls/plates, but I am relatively confident everything I would want in this area would be under 12" diameter.

Maybe i am missing something but I don't see the advantage to me in the larger lathes. I think the smaller Oneway 124 would be easier to move around. The tailstock is light but still sturdy...I have not found anything in the small-mdium size lathe category that seems to be built as sturdy and easy to use as the Oneway 1224 with it's sturdy large machine type cabinet. My idea is to put the money into a better quality tool instead of a larger one because I do not see that I have the need/interst for the larger tool. The Robusts and Stubby lathes seem to all be larger tools than I need.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-10-2015 at 3:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    I am confused about the Powermatic 3520B because someone above is saying one can be bought for $2500. The list price I see at Woodcraft is $3,999. Am I missing something here?
    Mike,

The 2.5K above is wrong. You can get the 3520B for 3,499 when Jet and PM have their 15% off sales several times a year. That's the best price I've seen for that machine for the last couple of years.

Well, you may want to compare it to the Jet mini lathe then. Add a bed extension, and you are set. Power wise they are the same. Price wise, huge difference for not much extra goodies.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Mike,

The 2.5K above is wrong. You can get the 3520B for 3,499 when Jet and PM have their 15% off sales several times a year. That's the best price I've seen for that machine for the last couple of years.
    Ouch.......just noticed that this thread was from 2008. $2,500 was probably the price back then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    The thing is I am not considering buying a Oneway 2436 lathe. If I bought a Oneway it would be the 1224 or 1236SD. The Oneways I am looking at are $2400-$3000. I am confused about the Powermatic 3520B because someone above is saying one can be bought for $2500. The list price I see at Woodcraft is $3,999. Am I missing something here?
    Yep... it's a 7-year old thread. Prices have changed dramatically since then. I sold a 2-yo (but unused) Jet lathe for several hundred MORE than what I purchased it for, and that took into account depreciation for being out of the box.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Reed there seem to me to be some major advantages to the Oneway for me. First in regard to unique features on the Oneway motors vs Jets: variable speed which will run 0-4500, the Oneway can be bought in a 220 version (which my shop is wired for), the controller comes programmed ready for use with built-in ramp up / ramp down, and dynamic breaking. This is a high quality drive, with single phase AC in / 3 phase out. The Oneway has 24" between centers and the Jet has 20.5 which is not a big difference but most of the chair leg stock I work with is about 24". I am confident I can use the Oneway for all the work I have in mind but I would need an extension on the Jet for sure. The Oneway comes with a very sturdy all metal base, unique for machines this size. I am confident that the Oneway tubular frame, tailstock, banjo...are superior to the Jets.

If I add the cost of a stand/enclosure, bed extension... to the cost of the Jet the price difference becomes a non issue to me. If I were going to buy a Jet Lathe I would buy a 1642EVS which is within $100 of the cost of the Oneway. The Jet 1642EVS has some nice features vs the Oneway 1224 but it's greater distance between centers and extra .5hp would probably be wasted on me. The greater size might actually hinder me when working around the lathe and trying to work it into the space I have for it. I might be able to build some sort of enclosure around the Jet 1642EVS but it would require building a cabinet which would be more money, time and probably not end up as serviceable.

Sorry guys I confused myself, I was reading this post from a post I was making on lathes I have been looking at and did not see I was posting on the old thread.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 04-10-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Even though his comments are over five years old, I would pretty much echo Scott Hubl's comments from the first page. I am a big Oneway fanboy and you can take my Stronghold when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. However, having now owned my 3520B for a couple of years, I remain thrilled with the decision I made. I would also never spend many thousands on a big lathe without a sliding headstock. I don't use it too often, but when I do, I am very happy to have the feature at my disposal.

If I ever upgrade (based on what is on the market today), it will be to a Robust AB.

I owned a PM3520b. I loved it. No complaints. I now own a Oneway 2436. I love it even more. Here are the differences. The banjo and the tail stock lock down and just don't move. I have stainless steel ways and they are carefree, no rust. The Oneway has a 96 position index (optional) and a spindle lock that does not require holding it in. The spindle is hardened so I can tighten the grub screws without fear of damaging the shaft. The spindle has the same thread inboard and outboard. With the outboard set up with a dedicated banjo and tool rest, I can still hollow bowls over the end of the lathe and don't have to move the headstock. The new models come standard with adjustable leg height. Mine does not have that feature. The 2436 has a 2" larger swing than does the 3520. I find the movable control box to be convenient as is the additional on - off switch box. I feel the vacuum adapter that Oneway sells is far superior to to the add on unit I bought from an outside vendor for my PM. The unit is rock solid and handles anything I have thrown on it. If I call Oneway for parts or support I tell them my serial number and they know exactly what I need. The customer service is quick and personal.
    The Oneway has not improved my skills. Only practice does that no matter which lathe you own.
    If your price range allows for the PW3520, you will not be disappointed. If you can afford a Oneway, you will be very happy you bought it.
    Faust