Thread: Things that aren't as easy as they look

Things that aren't as easy as they look

My thread about my miter sled makes me stop and ponder what went into making a simple, mitered frame (needed for a medicine cabinet).

I ended up making three to get it right, and also built a new miter sled in the process.

Have there been any woodworking tasks that you imagined would be easy, but instead turned out to be quite difficult?

And, how about any that you thought would be a challenge that weren't difficult at all?

Creating accurate .75" hexagonal stock. Way tougher then it looks.

Years ago I went to see a performance by a blues guitarist named Johnny Shines. Mr S came out on stage, tuned up for a bit and then ripped a breathtaking riff from his instrument. When the audience broke into whoops and applause, he looked up and grinned and said "It's easy..... if ya know how.....".

To answer your question, I would say "everything". The idea that this stuff is or should be "easy" is a myth propagated by the DIY "industry". In truth, none of it is easy although there are certain people who have a natural aptitude (talent?) and for whom things seem to come easier. But for the most part, skills must be developed over time. The first time I saw a master cut a complex splicing joint using nothing but a hand saw and a couple of chisels, I was amazed at how "easy" it looked.

Those three tries before you "got it right"? That's experience.....

YM
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 03-29-2008 at 3:57 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Weaving hardwood flooring into a finite space. Had to plug a hole where a wall was removed. To get it to look like nothing was ever there was one of the hardest things I ever did.
    Too stuborn to quit or ask for help.
    The floor sander that did my floors this time said I did OK.... for a beginner
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Practice and making furniture is the best teacher. You learn by doing. Next time what was hard is easier and the next time even easier.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    Years ago I went to see a performance by a blues guitarist named Johnny Shines. Mr S came put on stage, tuned up for a bit and then ripped a breathtaking riff from his instrument. When the audience broke into whoops and applause, he looked up and grinned and said "It's easy..... if ya know how.....".

To answer your question, I would say "everything". The idea that this stuff is or should be "easy" is a myth propagated by the DIY "industry". In truth, none of it is easy although there are certain people who have a natural aptitude (talent?) and for whom things seem to come easier. But for the most part, skills must be developed over time. The first time I saw a master cut a complex splicing joint using nothing but a hand saw and a couple of chisels, I was amazed at how "easy" it looked.

Those three tries before you "got it right"? That's experience.....

YM
    I saw Johnny Sines at the Ash Grove over 30 years ago! He was great then!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer View Post
    Practice and making furniture is the best teacher. You learn by doing. Next time what was hard is easier and the next time even easier.
    Ok Mark, I've seen your furniture. I'm not getting the impression of easy. Nice stuff.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have been working on this wooden train (two of them) for longer than I care to admit http://www.freetoytrainplans.com/. Everything I have to make 3 or 4 times to get it right. I have never had a project fight me so much. I have built all kinds of furniture even a grand father clock with no problem at all. I feel so stupid on such a basic project. In all fairness to myself. I started using a set of plane in a book that was not to clear. I found this on the web and then noticed it is just a hair different from the book = problems in the build.