Thread: Phils Thien's miter sled and Incra gauge

Phils Thien's miter sled and Incra gauge

New thread so I don't highjack Phil's thread on his Miter sled. Nice job by the way Phil. His was the only reference I have read that said the Incra miter gauge was not spot on. Perhaps those references were to the 90 degree position only. I was planning on buying one of their models (probably the 1000SE) but now I am having doubts. Does anyone have any experience with the Incra miter gauge being inaccurate at any angle similiar to Phil's experience? Thanks, Mike

So today I experimented a little with my Incra gauge. I used my Starrett to make sure that the miter bar was 90-degrees to the head. This is a little difficult due to the way the head on my Inca was made (it is a bent piece of steel that is thick enough that the bottom edge has a significant radius. I used a rule from one Starrett combination square (using it as a straight edge) to compensate for the radius, and used another Starrett combination square to check the angle between the bar and the head. I was positive I had it set to 90-degrees, but when I made a test cut my cut wasn't square (maybe off by 1-degree).

I tried using sandpaper to make sure the scrap I was cutting wasn't shifting during the cut. I tried making several cuts. The results were always off, but by what seemed like a consistent amount.

So I set the gauge to 45-degrees and did another test cut. My results were off by about the same as the 90-degree cut.

I imagine I am doing something wrong. But I'm happy with the miter sled. I set it to either 90 or 45 with the triangle or protractor and the cuts are always exactly what I expect. I was happy with the old miter sled but the new miter sled adjusts much more quickly.

Incra miter gauge

I have a Incra miter gauge and once I set it up and squared it up, it has been a great performer. The only suggestion I would have is to make sure that everything is square and accurate before adding the miter gauge, so when you set the miter gauge up, everything will work correctly.

Blog Entries
    It had to be set up incorrectly. Incra is just dead on if you properly calibrate it.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.