Thread: Re-powering a Delta 14" band saw - best SFM blade speed?

Re-powering a Delta 14" band saw - best SFM blade speed?

Greetings, Creekers,

I am putting a 1hp Dayton 220v motor on an older Delta 14" band saw with the riser block. Occasionally, I will be re-sawing some thicker stock. Delta does not differentiate the 3000 SFM blade speed between cutting 6" or 12" of stock. Would appreciate recommendations as to optimum blade speed for re-sawing. Also, anyone know from experience what is the optimum blade width and number of teeth for re-sawing on this machine?

Also, this saw did not come with the Delta rip fence and guides. Is it a good addition for general ripping and re-sawing or is there a better way to go? If anyone has a Delta rip fence and rails for sale, I would appreciate an e-mail at PackardV8@comcast.net.

thnx, jack vines

Jack,
    Don't worry about changing speeds between 6" and 12" Use the original pullys and you will be ok. Lots of people put riser blocks on 14" saws and never change the speeds. For resawing you wast a 3 TPI blade. I think the max the Delta can tension is a 1/2" blade. The blade length is 105" in case you were wondering.

Hi, Cary,

Thanks for the reply. In their older catalogs, Delta lists a 3/4" 5tpi blade as an option. How much tension would you run on a 3/4"?

jack vines

Jack,
    You might be able to tentsion a 3/4". I think you will probably bottom out the spring before that happens. The Delta website says the new ones have a 3/4" capacity. I have never tried it. I have used 1/2" on my 28-206 with great results. I usually tension at least the next size blade up on the tension scale. Somebody else might chime in with a better answer. I think a 5TPI blade will be too many teeth.

Jack... you will be able to re-saw just fine with a 1/2" blade. You dont need a 3/4" blade. Cary is correct also on the tooth count, 3tpi is fine. Check out the Kreg Precision Band Saw Fence. All the woodworking supply retailers have it. Its around $100 and the best thing out there. It will bolt right up to your Delta.

http://www.kregtool.com/products/pms...?PRODUCT_ID=38
    My favorite cologne is BLO