Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nova 1624-44

Matt,
    You can always add an extension of some sort. That shouldn't be show-stopper. I'd guess that if the Laguna finds this to be a viable product they will come out with accessories to capture more of your money.

While Laguna has a reputation, a lot of it has turned south over the past few years. Many reports of bad customer service and faulty product. Do a search over at the General Woodworking side to get a better idea of the companies health and attitude.

Gotta admit that 1847 looks like a great deal. Remember, shipping. May cost more then you think. If you're near a Woodcraft you'll just pay tax. You can bring it home yourself and set it up solo.

Burt

Got a question about the Nova 1624. Does it have a hand wheel so you can easly turn your work piece manually to check it?

Nova Handwheel is a $28 accessory
    -Marc

Thank you , Marc. Got another question, I like to turn pen. It look like the tool rest banjo may be a little difficult to get in close to that small of an object. Has anyone turn pens an a 1624 and how was it? Might as well ask also what size tool rest post does this lathe have?

Thanks

I had forgotten why I didn't turn pens on my Nova 1624, but you're right, the tool rest is 12" with a 1" post. I use my Jet Mini, which I think still has a tool rest too long at 6". I do have a smaller custom made tool rest for my Nova now, that I didn't have when I first tried pens.
    -Marc

I haven't turned a pen yet but I have turned some rather small things, some pen like. I never had a problem getting up close and personal.

Burt

Paul I have the Nova DVR and it came with a 12" tool rest. I went to Woodcraft and bought a 4" and 6" tool rest. I bought 1" posts for each one as I don't like screwing and unscrewing to change the rest. These are the ones I got and they work just fine for getting in close. The one for turning boxes works great when getting inside with a scraper. You can get right up to the bottom and don't have the scraper hanging over the edge way out there.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20252
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I bought the 4" & 9" Robust Comfort rests from Bill Grumbine. They are by far the best tool rest. They have a hardened steel rod epoxied on top of the slant forward tool rest. The tool glides very smoothly. Allow room for me to hook my finger under for control. They also have tapered ends. They allow me get closer to inside of the bowl than the DVR tool rest and round bar. Considering the quality, I think they are very good value.

Before I got them, I use the Oneway tool rest, their design is very good. Except it is cast iron, the tool doesn't slide on it as smooth.
    Gordon

Love my 1624, have outboard setup and have turned 22" plus diam., just have the legs that came with it. Vibration is not a great problem. A little more h.p. on the motor would probably help with the McNaughton system but I take my time and it works. Pens and magic wands are fun, I have a couple of smaller rests but many times use the larger one with no problems. Will probably try a VFD when I find a real good price on motor (2hp) and control. Changing speeds is no problem but if I was turning for money and turning all day every day or even half a day every other the VFD would be on order! I have grandkids that play ball so an extention to turn bats will probably be next. I believe my 1624 was the 1st in the US, I received it the first or second week of Nov. 2006. I have had 1 pulley and 1 switch problem that were taken care of super fast. Sure is way ahead of the old used Craftsman twin tube I started with!

I have turned probably a hundred pens on my 1624, but I bought a 4" tool rest, the one that came with it did not allow me to get the rest close enough.

Darn I wish I didn't find it so hard to spend money. I've put that lathe, plus a chuck and live center set up in my shopping cart three times now but haven't got further than finding out the shipping charge ($75 not bad) Craft Supplies wants $155. But with Woodcraft I have to pay sales tax at 8.3% which makes them higher total.....

Paul,

Do you get charged sales tax? Woodcraft doesn't list WA as a state with which they collect sales tax. Are you shopping online?

Mike

I'll check further but it is my understanding that if there is a store in your state they have to charge sales tax. There is one about 180 mi. from me.

Do you have any relatives or friends in Oregon. That might be the answer to your sales tax dilemma.

good Luck

Alan

Maybe because they aren't comapny stores they can get around the sales tax. I don't get charged sales tax when I order from woodcraft online, but I do from other companies that have a store in my state. There are 3 Woodcrafts in WI.

disclaimer fro WI Dept. of Revenue - I pay the sales tax on my tax return each year.
    -Marc