Thread: Mirror frame question

Mirror frame question

My friend would like to frame his bathroom mirror in cherry (actually he wants ME to frame his mirror in cherry). This is a large mirror -- maybe 6' by 4'. I really don't want to take it down so I am planning to creat a frame with a rabbet on the back that will cover the edges of the mirror.

Questions:
    1. Is this a good way to do it, and
    2. how should I attach it to the wall? Is there some non-permanent way to attach it.

I have confidence that you guys (and gals) will give me some great advice -- you have not let me down yet!

Talking No, seriously

I need some help here!

How is the mirror currently attached? The frame could be hung with a number of different methods. Picture frame hooks, wire or key slots cut with a special router bit.

I would be inclined to take the mirror off, build the frame, inset the mirror with glazing points and/or silicone and hang with some kind of cleat or screws set into the studs and into key hole slots.

If you are just looking for a relatively simple frame you could opt for building it in place, either mitered corners or stile/rail and assembling on the wall. Adhesive and pin nails to hold it.

If you decide to take it off and build it as a single unit, get some hands. 6'x4' is a big mirror.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Ray,

I agree with Joe. If you aren't going to remove the mirror then I would seriously consider the slotted key hanger approach. I would make the frame using mortise and tenon with a rabbet on the rear insied edge as you mentioned. I would use M&T rather than miters since it is going to be in the bathroom. The wood is going to be exposed to a lot of moisture in the air, and this may cause problems with miter joints opening and closing. It may not be a problem but I wouldn't take the chance. I would try to determine where the studs are in the wall next to the mirror and see if they can be used to support the hanger screws. Something the size you've indicated will need something solid to attach to.

Thanks

You guys gave me some good ideas. I think I know how I am going to do it now.