Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plantation Shutter joints - M&T, Domino or Dowelmax

Plantation Shutter joints - M&T, Domino or Dowelmax

I've got to build some plantation shutters for a customer and I'm pondering what type of joinery I'm going to use. I don't own a dedicated mortiser, Domino or Dowelmax so whatever I decide to do I'll end up having to buy something. If you've built shutters before what would you recommend? What about owners of the aforementioned tools, what pros/cons have you found with each? Thanks in advance for the advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You Tube

Russell,

There's a You Tube video of a guy using a Domino to make plantation shutters. If you haven't seen it it's good food for thought.

Good Luck,

Jim

Do you have the link? I ran a quick search and didn't find anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    I have a dedicated mortiser, so that's what I'm using for my plantation shutters. If I didn't have one, I would probably look at the Domino as it seems to be the "go to" tool for low stress M&T joinery.

If I go with the domino it'll eat up a larger portion of my profit. I'm trying to weigh that against the time it will save. I already have a biscuit jointer. If I went with the domino I would probably sell that to help offset the cost. Do you think the domino would save me that much more time over the other two (mortiser or dowelmax) to justify the cost?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russell here an idea from FOG on the Domino and shutters. festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=2438.0
    Hope this helps. One thing to remember the domino will speed up all your new jobs. Hope this helps. Check out FOG just do a search on Domino and you can read for days. Good Luck Bruce

Blog Entries
    If I go with the domino it'll eat up a larger portion of my profit. I'm trying to weigh that against the time it will save. I already have a biscuit jointer. If I went with the domino I would probably sell that to help offset the cost. Do you think the domino would save me that much more time over the other two (mortiser or dowelmax) to justify the cost?
    For just this single project, the Domino won't save you significant time as the M&T joinery is not the time consuming portion. Long term, however, the domino would be a good option.

I really don't use my dedicated mortiser too much, but it's certainly nice to have and will cost you about 1/3 of what the domino will cost you once you throw in all the accessories.

Someday, I will buy a Domino; however, since I already own a mortiser, I'm not exactly in a rush to buy one.

One thing to keep in mind is that the stock chisels that come with the mortiser will at a minimum need to be honed, or replaced all together - they aren't exactly top quality.

Tim I think the domino will save a lot of time on this project, check out the above post. Just my 2 cent...Bruce

Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Tribby View Post
    Do you have the link? I ran a quick search and didn't find anything.
    Russell,

This should work;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FivEuxItPw

Jim

Well...you guys have just about convinced me to pull the trigger on the Domino. Judging from what I've read it sounds like I'll be heading down a slippery slope with my first Festool purchase. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and decide tomorrow, just in time to beat the price increase if I do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russell remember to buy a combo. I have the CT22 vac and love it. The 33 is bigger. With the domino you need a good vac. You don't want to leave chips in the hole it can throw off your next hole. With the domino a good vac is a must.

I just started making shutters on Saturday. I don't have a dedicated mortiser, and the setup for my drill press wouldn't work because of the length of the pieces, and where the drill press is sitting (Not enough room to cut the center mortise). I used my router table to cut the mortises. Worked great.

Guy, I'm assuming you just plunged the material into the bit. Are you using loose tenons or will you be using your router table to make the tenons as well? How many shutters are you making? I'm thinking making enough for my house while I work on this job. I would love to be able to knock it out in one fell swoop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bruce is there some reason that my Ridgid shop vac that I have now wouldn't work? I use it with all my other tools and it does a great job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Russell it might, The Festool vacs are adjustable. Try it, you don't want to leave any chips in your holes. That is the one thing I discussed with the Festool rep the other day. He said never run it without a vac. I think you could but it takes away from the speed of the tool. You would have to check each hole to make sure it was clean. Speed is why you want a domino. Festool is referred to as a system, they really make everything to work together. With the Festool vac you have 2 settings manual and auto, auto is when you turn on the tool and the vac starts, off and the vac runs for a few seconds to clear the dust out. Nice... Try your vac, if it doesn't clear your holes get a CT vac. You do save money on the combo. The only bad thing I have heard about the Festool vacs are the plastic wheels, some guys wish they where rubber coated. The biggest benefit is when you go to a job your Festool set up puts out about zero dust, customers love it! Remember Festool offers a 30 day money back guarantee, if it doesn't work like it should take it back and get your money back. I don't know of any company making that offer. Good Luck Bruce