Thread: Millers Falls Planes?

Millers Falls Planes?

Anyone use Millers Falls Planes?

How does the quality compare to earlier stanley's?

Also, I notice the frog is different on Millers Falls. Am I correct in saying they look like Bedrock frogs? I only ask because I have never seen a bedrock frog, but know it can be adjusted WITHOUT removing the iron.

I am quite pleased with the four Miller Falls Planes I have. They are a #8, #9, #11 and a #14. That's equivalent to a Stanley #3, #4, #5-1/4 and a #5. The frog has a large blade support area like the Sargent planes have. The segmented lever cap appears to be a superior design over Stanley, Sargent, etc.

The only down side I've noticed, is the cast iron on the sole seems softer that other planes and prone to pitting. With the screw adjustment behind the frog giving you the ability to mechanically adjust the mouth opening the Miller Falls planes equate well with the earlier Stanley's. However, like the Stanley's, you have to remove the blade to loosen to frog hold down screws. Then you have to repeat that to tighten the frog.

I don't own a bedrock so I can't make a comparison with those planes. But if the opportunity presents itself to acquire more of the Miller Falls planes I 'll jump on it. In particular, I'm looking for a #10 and a #22.
    Possumpoint