Thread: Nickel Plated Dog Tags

Nickel Plated Dog Tags

Hi Everyone, I have a customer that is requesting a photo be laser engraved on nickel plated dog tags. This will be for military purposes but not likely to be used in the field. This is the first I've seen of these and am not sure what the process is used to accomplish what is shown in the photo. The customer dose not have the tags so I will be providing them as well. Basically two things are required, they need to be shinny (Nickel, chrome) and a photo needs to be engraved on them.

Dose anyone have a lead on a supplier of a product like this? I'm assuming that there would be a coating over the nickel and when engraved the coating would be removed.

Any ideas or leads are greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike. I don't know if our lasers can do this. This particular image looks like it was made by one of the Roland Metaza MPX machines. It's purely decorative, so I don't know what the "military purposes" would be, but it won't hold up to any kind of abuse, no matter how minor.
    Vicky
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you." ~Zen Sarcasm
    The Toys:
    LaserPro Explorer 30W (with all the goodies)
    New Hermes Vanguard 3400
    New Hermes pantograph
    Really, really old heat press, with nothing to press now that my toner cartridge is RIP.

Second on Vicky's comments.

I researched to purchase a Metazza or MPX-60/70/80 series boxes, but found that it was not going to be cost effective for my store. It does an impressive photo appearance on their tags, but the carbide tipped print heads supposedly don't hold up as well as advertised.

Honestly, never touched one, just saw their finished product and reviewed other's comments while doing the research!
    Last edited by Stephen Beckham; 04-03-2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling... duh...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Chewbarka.com has nickle-plated tags. I agree with the others about the photo though. Good luck.

Why not use stainless tags and cermark em! The picture will last on cermarked stainless
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Heh, Bill beat me to the punch I second the idea of stainless and Cermark. The adhesion is fantastic with that combo. You can also Cermark the nickel if they insist on it, though I haven't tried photo work on nickel.
    Epilog Mini 24 45W/various other dangerous implements the wife has ok'd over the years