Thread: What tools-Steel and Brands??

What tools-Steel and Brands??

We should let this thread die

Question already asked and answered at least partiialy

I am a relatively experienced WoodWorker but fairly new to turning. To expand my range I am taking a turning class this fall. Upon recieving the course tool list I realized that my old set (inherited and probably pretty crappy to boot) is not going to completely cover the range of tools needed. Actually just my 2 spindle gouges, my parting tool, and my skew are overlapping with the course requirements.

After looking at what is offered I have come to accept this is an area where I have no real knowledge. I see that there are multiple different kinds of steel with the standard seeming to be an A2 HSS.

A lot of what is sold at the larger wood shop supply stores seem to be Sorby or Crown. Both look functional but neither appear to be that elegant.

I'm not afraid to make my own handles if that is a requirement of having a good tool that will last and work for a lifetime (mine at least).

I'm also not afraid to spend the money to get an excelent quality tool. I would rather spend more now than be frustrated with something for a while then spend the money later.

Are there suggestions out there? Are the more high end steels that much better? I don't want to start a brand war but I wouldn't mind a stear in the right direction.

Thanks
    Brendan
    Last edited by Brendan Zimmermann; 04-03-2008 at 5:27 PM.

There are a lot of discussion on this subject like this one:
    http://70.169.135.35/showthread.php?t=80033
    You can use the search to find out more.
    Gordon

I just went through this puzzle. $300 sent to Doug Thompson, and $75 at Woodcraft to buy various exotic 2"x2" stock bought me seven bowl and spindle gouges that look and perform amazing. Doug's website has a tutorial on making handles, which was way easier than it looked, even for a beginner like me.

I figure that buying "name-brand" powdered metal tools would have cost at least twice as much, and they'd have ugly handles. I really like being able to pick a specific gouge out of the rack by looking at the handle.

I've only used one Sorby bowl gouge, and the HF beginner set, so I can't say these gouges are the best -- but they're sure nice.

-jon-

We should let this thread die

thanks I must have missed that thread.

Scary it's pretty much my exact question.

Sorry for the duplicate.

Cheers
    Brendan
    Last edited by Brendan Zimmermann; 04-03-2008 at 5:26 PM.

What steel?

While I have to agree that Doug Ts tools are great, any tool made of High speed steel (HSS), and priced reasonably will do a good job. I really like the Benjamen's best line from PSI.
    Bob

Smile

If you're thinking of going with unhandled tools such as the wonderful ones from Dour Thompson you might also want to look at these handles from David Peebles

http://www.bowlturner.com/

and check here for the opinions on David's handles

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/t...=181387#181387

Just a satisfied customer.