Thread: Frame and Panel question

Frame and Panel question

OK, guys. This may fall in the "why didn't he just look at [fill in the blank], where it tells him exactly what he needs. Sorry if that is so.

What is the typical thickness of the rails and stiles in a frame and panel cabinet door (such as a kitchen cabinet)? The length is obviously determined by the door size. What should the width and the thickness be?

There is no real "cut and dried" answer. "Typically", for kitchen cabinet doors, the stiles and rails are 3/4 - 7/8" thick and 2.25 - 2.5 wide. This is the range that most of the tooling and hinge systems are designed to accommodate. But, the design of your piece and the configuration and size of your doors should not be limited by this.

YM

Typical thickness is 3/4"-7/8", I have seen custom doors in my area speced at 1", 1 1/8", and even 1 1/4" double sided profile. Most common is 3/4".

I have seen 5/8" and hinges are available for these but that is a mighty thin cracker IMHO.

My router sets from amana make 13/16"-1 1/4", my shaper cutters with shims are even more flexible.

I don't vary much off of 3/4x2.5"

Ray - I agree with Yoshikuni, there are no real cut and dry answers, me I use 3/4" stock by 2". I like 2" stock because it keeps my math simpler.

I try to never go thinner than 3/4" for looks, but my normal thickness is 7/8". Rail size varies per project though 2-1/4" is the norm for me I have done from 1-1/4" up to 4-1/4" on doors.

good luck,
    JeffD