Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ-20 fence replacement or exchange with Grizzly G0490 fence

DJ-20 fence replacement or exchange with Grizzly G0490 fence

A relative purchased a Delta DJ-20 8" jointer, used for under 400.00, looks pretty good with the usual tarnish/rust from not being used for a while. The problem is the fence is bent, looks like 1/4+ inch bow over the lenght of the fence. I see that no online parts distributers have any in stock and Delta has no indication as to when or if they will ever have one.
    The question is, after comparing the parts diagrams of Delta and Grizzly they seem to be very (if not exactly) the same. I know that the cutterheads can be exchanged, and drive belts/pulleys have been talked about as being interchangeable.
    Has anyone have any experience with the possibility of using the Grizzly fence on the Delta jointer?? (both parallelogram jointers)

Blog Entries
    The G0490's are a DJ-20 clone. I do not have experience swapping the fence but, if you want to PM me the specifics I would gladly measure my G0490X fence connector points for you.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Sometimes you can get cast fences to straighten out by supporting them on either end and putting some weight in the middle, like try stepping on it slowly. If that doesn't work I would try clamping it and slowly apply pressure. Being bowed is way better than twisted.
    Tom

Yup, try fixing the current fence before spending good $$$ on a new one.

JeffD

I had the same problem with the fence on my recently-purchased DJ-20 that was used and about 20 years old. It had a bow right in the middle of the fence. Blanchard grinding was almost as expensive as a new fence, so I went for broke -- I removed the fence, set it on top of a couple of 4x4 blocks, and gave the middle of the fence a couple of good whacks with a large deadblow mallet. The fence did not break! In fact, it's now dead nuts flat and STRAIGHT! I've used it several times and have had no further issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    A relative purchased a Delta DJ-20 8" jointer, used for under 400.00, looks pretty good with the usual tarnish/rust from not being used for a while. The problem is the fence is bent, looks like 1/4+ inch bow over the lenght of the fence. I see that no online parts distributers have any in stock and Delta has no indication as to when or if they will ever have one.
    The question is, after comparing the parts diagrams of Delta and Grizzly they seem to be very (if not exactly) the same. I know that the cutterheads can be exchanged, and drive belts/pulleys have been talked about as being interchangeable.
    Has anyone have any experience with the possibility of using the Grizzly fence on the Delta jointer?? (both parallelogram jointers)

A bow along the length won't hurt nothing(other than being annoying) as long as the fence stays 90 degrees to the table at all times. I have heard of people screwing a piece of hardwood to the fence face and milling that flat. I have the Shop Fox version of that jointer and would also be willing to take some measurements if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    A bow along the length won't hurt nothing(other than being annoying) as long as the fence stays 90 degrees to the table at all times. I have heard of people screwing a piece of hardwood to the fence face and milling that flat. I have the Shop Fox version of that jointer and would also be willing to take some measurements if needed.
    That sounds like the cheapest & easiest. A replacement fence painted the right color would look the best, though. Just be sure to countersink any screw heads before jointing, though.

Th ejointer is a few hours travel away and have not seen it personally, I belive from the discripton given to me that it also may have a twist also. so untill I get my hands on it I'm just guessing on how to "massage" the fence back into alignment. Thats why I was looking at the Grizzly fence, for about 150.00 my nephew could just replace the fence. Thanks for eveyone's reply...I'll try to get to the machine and see what should be done. I was just hoping someone has used grizzly parts as repair/replacement so a educated guess could be made as to the chance that the grizzly fence could work.

Do get a quote on having the fence blanchard ground. You might find somebody to do it for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Th ejointer is a few hours travel away and have not seen it personally, I belive from the discripton given to me that it also may have a twist also. so untill I get my hands on it I'm just guessing on how to "massage" the fence back into alignment. Thats why I was looking at the Grizzly fence, for about 150.00 my nephew could just replace the fence. Thanks for eveyone's reply...I'll try to get to the machine and see what should be done. I was just hoping someone has used grizzly parts as repair/replacement so a educated guess could be made as to the chance that the grizzly fence could work.

You can always "make" the fence work if needed. I still would try to straighten it first. Not by banging though, that's more risky as cast iron is brittle! Gentle persuasion is a better choice whether twist or bow or both! If that fails you can always have the replacement fence as a back up. Even if the fence holes don't align exactly, you could do a little basic work to get it to work. Machining an extra hole, making a custom spacer etc..

I also would avoid grinding it regardless of method if it's really out by 1/4". The cast iron on those fences isn't all that thick, so removing up to 1/8" of material from the ends, (assuming an inward bow), would be a LOT. If it's an outward bow removing 1/4" won't even be possible IMHO.

Lastly depending on how he uses the fence he may not even need a cast iron replacement. A straight piece of re-enforced mdf/particle board/plywood with a laminate face could last for quite a few years without spending much if anything out of pocket

good luck,
    JeffD

contact cement 3/8 hardwood to the face and use the jointer for what is was made for. Hell have some fun and use rosewood.
    jack
    English machines

12. I did a resto of the same jointer (DJ-20) and the fence was bowed too. It's not asthetically pleasing, but I set it up dead-true at 90 degrees to the table and have had no issues. Put the extra dough into a Byrd cutterhead and have been very pleased. Also enclosed the top of the chip chute, a common "fix" with this machine. I'd be curious if you pursue the replacement option with the Griz fence if it's a perfect swap.

You might check with a automotive machine shop. I've been out of that business for 20+ years but some used to use a large purpose-built belt sander to refinish cylinder heads. Not as accurate as Blanchard grinding but should be plenty good for a jointer fence. It would have been a $20 job 20 years ago.

Got an article around here somewhere....must be from back in the late 1970's?It was either Delta or Powermatic,that the article was referring to.They were discussing factory "classes" on tuning and troubleshooting their equip.Logically,it was aimed at dealers and folks in the biz....but nuthin said an individual couldn't take their class?

Anyway,the subject of jointer fence "bowing" came up.....frequently enough(owner complaints to dealers),that there was some serious discussion on the matter.it seemed you could straighten them on a "one time only" basis(their opinion/view,not mine),using exactly some of the methods posted above.

I'll leave it up to the individual as to how far anyone wants to take the process and any ensuing measurements.Because there's little agreement on what exactly is "close enough".

Well the "replacement" fence arrived from Grizzly and was bolted in place on the Delta DJ-20 Jointer. The 90 and 45 degree stops did not need to be adjusted, the fence fit fine, was square to the table and flat for it's length. Took it back off to be painted satin black to match the rest of the fence mechanism. Very pleased. Even the handle from the Delta fence fit like it should.
    Thanks for the posts and replies