Thread: Egg beater

Egg beater

Hi all,
    because of this forum I have been pushed into working with some hand tools and was was forced to pull out some planes I bought over 20 years ago and have been able to get them to work, Thanks to all of you.

I have been looking at the "egg beater" drills and need your input on a decent brand / year to buy.
    Thanks again
    Michael

Hi Michael
    I like old Millers Fall/Goodell-Pratt - have just taken delivery of um, three, from Wiktor Kuc at wktools.com - superbly restored with smooth action - far better than the wobbly offerings available from today's manufacturers.
    (NFI, just chuffed to bits customer)
    Cheers
    Steve

Blog Entries

Millers Falls and Others

Here is a site with some links to Millers Falls and also some for the Brace style you will need for bigger holes.

http://www.georgesbasement.com/

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamlin View Post
    Hi Michael
    I like old Millers Fall/Goodell-Pratt - have just taken delivery of um, three, from Wiktor Kuc at wktools.com - superbly restored with smooth action - far better than the wobbly offerings available from today's manufacturers.
    (NFI, just chuffed to bits customer)
    Cheers
    Steve
    Wow. I've seen Wiktor's restorations, he does a good job. Which models do you have coming?

Michael, regarding brands, Miller Falls, Goodell-Pratt and North Bros are all good choices. You don't need to focus on the year so much, but like planes, most made before the 50s will be just fine. In terms of model, that depends on what overall size, chuck size and function (ratcheting etc) you're looking for.
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 04-05-2008 at 7:25 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

No2 or 5 Miller Falls are nice or even a 100 Plus Stanley 610??? I think is the No.

I use them for installing hardware like hinges as you get a lot of control unlike a 5lbs cordless drill, also you dont have to wait 30mins for it to change up
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 04-06-2008 at 4:59 PM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

I like the Stanley 610

I bought it originally because I like the shrouded gearing, but it's a dynamite drill.

A lot of people swear by the Millers-Falls No. 2. I own two of them, and the handle is wobbly on both. I think M-F used the wrong wood for the handle (too weak), and didn't engineer the ferrule properly. Way down on my round tuit list is building a new handle for at least one of them. They do have the advantage of being larger than most eggbeater drills (excluding breast drills, which are a totally different topic), but small enough to be usable for holes up to about 1/4" (which breast drills are not).

Watch for any of the North Bros. (Yankee) eggbeater drills, too - they use an adapted version of the familiar Yankee screwdriver ratchet to deliver some cool features.

Let me offer a pitch for push drills, too - for the installation of small hardware, NOTHING beats a good push drill. North Bros. (later bought by Stanley) drills are the most common, and easiest to get replacement bits for.

Goodell-Pratt 4 ½ - cute sized for exra delicate jobs.
    1912 Miller's Fall 1 - in the middle
    1938 Miller's Fall 2 - a beast.
    All three work like a charm, and almost certainly look better than the day they came off of the production line.
    Will post a pic if I can find the lead.
    Last edited by Steve Hamlin; 04-06-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Wellll...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Kleso View Post
    you get a lot of control unlike a 5lbs cordless drill, olus you dont have to wait 30mins for it to change up
    No charging, but maybe an extra cup of coffee in the morning.

jim

The Yankee's are also very nice I own three I think but they come in a lot of different models and sizes, If I get a chance to open a storage tub I'll get the model No.s for you..

I am pretty sure I have an extra Stanley 610, if intrested PM me and I look at the avrage price they have sold on eBay for..

I hope its OK to say this on the forum if not please PM me

Jim,
    I'm talking No6 starter holes, No Wheaties needed
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 04-07-2008 at 1:36 AM.

Heres a pic of a few drills I own

Yankee 1530 a
    Yankee 15 ** 25? got a bad pic and cant read it
    Miller Falls 2A
    Stanley 611
    Stanley 610

The one Yankee is to heavy IMHO for installing hardware and stuff...

Nice set of drills, Johnny. If the big North Bros has 3 jaws, I think its a 1545.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thanks Gary,

Yes they all have three jaws so 1545 it is

I do have a huge Miller Falls with a breast cup to push on and two speeds and I think that one is a 2 jaw model..

13. Michael,

Millers Falls are good drills. I have worked on many of them. Chris Schartz recoments No. 2 and No. 5 as a base drills that is good to have in the shop. See his blog post here:

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/...er+Drills.aspx

or this link: http://tinyurl.com/5z8shk

There are of course some good drills by Stanley and North Bros.

I also like Goodell-Pratt 5 1/2. It has two speeds and some of them are still come in good condition. There is also Millers Falls No. 3 and No. 303 - very good drills. And don't forget No. 85.

Some pics on No. 2. You can see more pics on my website.

Regards,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wiktor Kuc; 04-16-2008 at 7:53 AM.
    Wiktor