Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wood for drawers

Best wood for drawers

I'm planning on starting a bedroom suite shortly and was wondering what the best material to make the drawer insides out of might be. I am leaning towards popular but won't rule out any suggestions. I am build the suite out of cheery but don't want all the added expense of using that for the drawer insides.

Thanks,
    Paul

Blog Entries
    As cheery and popular as this sounds

I use poplar when solid wood is desired and 1/2 BB ply would not be suitable. Poplar is a very common secondary wood as well as a primary in some items. If I cannot find poplar without the green banding running through it I will substitute alder now and then.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Poplar or maple, usually soft but occasionally I get a steal deal on hard maple.

6/4 poplar, resaw to 3/4, mill to 5/8 and go to town.

1/2 BB is really popular and the last three kitchens I did used all 1/2 BB.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Arkansas Pine

I've also used poplar but for my better pieces I like the looks and stability of the pine. The local lumber yard usually has a good supply of nice boards.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I can't tell where you're from but do a little research on antiques that were made in your area and use that kind of wood. This will put you in the same category as some of the old timers; using wood natural to your area.

I just refinished a cherry dresser that had maple; one before that had oak; I've seen chestnut on some pieces. Did a Eastlake desk that was all oak except for the back which was pine. I did one that had hickory. That would be okay also - really hard wood.

When I make drawers I usually use poplar but have used maple. Depends on the use - maple takes a little more abuse so kitchens and baths would be a good place for that.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

Yellow Poplar is the traditional drawer box wood. I've made a LOT of drawers out of poplar and they've all held up well for years. It dovetails good and holds up well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I generally use yellow poplar or soft maple.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the input. Popular is, well not that popular here in S. Carolina. Pine, now that's another thing. I can get loads of Pine, but felt like Popular would be the better choice and would mill better than the Pine does. I hadn't thought about soft Maple but will see which brings the better deal.

Thanks again,
    Paul

Paul, I'm surprised that sourcing poplar (and make sure you ask for poplar, not "popular"...they will look at you funny and all... ) is tough, given a ton of it is grown in your neighbor state to the north and it's a staple in the furniture industry.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, you're right I call it poplar but write popular. I will have to get it from a source in NC since none of the local mills cut any of it around here.

Paul

Paul -- what part of the state are you in. There are a lot of mills but most don't advertise and are small mom and pop outfits.

Just wanted to add that where I get 90% of my wood it costs within cents different for oak/hickory/poplar or maple. Granted the maple isn't the same grade as the oak but it is close.

Check around for some small mills or guys with kilns. You can get some great deals.

I actually still prefer the poplar, especially if I am going to resaw it. There is a big difference in how it "handles" so to speak.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I'm a fan of aromatic red cedar sides with a ply bottom. The aroma is sooooo nice. I think it would be great for a bedroom set.

Strangely my local Borgs all sell poplar. They are a little expensive though. Klingspor has a decent price, I think it's like $2.50/bf. I still have to find a close hardwood store that's ok with me buying a couple boards now and again .

All the suggestions mentioned so far are good; it's more of what you think looks good, rather than what is best.
    I live by an Amish community with over 60 cabinet shops employing over 300 people within 20 miles of my house. I sold random length drawer side material to some of them, before I switched directions and started making flooring (not enough money in the wholesale side). Most used soft maple, some used white ash, and only a couple used poplar (most don't like the green in poplar). I was the only one supplying ash in this area. I dried and sold about 25,000 bf of ash made into drawer sides in the couple years I was selling to them.