Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade of Harbor Freight dust collector

Blog Entries

Question Upgrade of Harbor Freight dust collector

I have the Harbor Freight dust collector. Should I change the bags that came with it & if so, with what & where do I get them?
    Are there other upgrades I could/should do?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Absolutely change the filter bags...you could drive a full size SUV between the weave on the OEM bags! American Fabric Filter is one good source for high-quality replacements and they can upsize the upper bag for you so you can use a heavy plastic bag for the chips on the lower end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I had a HF DC I added:

1) Wynn cartridge filter and plastic bag.
    2) Neutral vane

I didn't dislike the HF but I found a good deal on some used tools and picked up a Jet DC1100 - similar to HF design and added:

3) Phil Thien's baffle (do a search at SMC)

Mike

Definitely go with the Wynn Environmental filter kit. There are a number of threads here on SMC that deal specifically with modifying this and other single stage DC.

All these mods are relatively simple and effective. Also you may want to consider picking up a Dylos particle counter. Phil Thien co-ordinated a group purchase of this device a couple of months ago and many folks here purchased one. It has proven invaluable in my shop. While I would be the first to say that the data it reports isn't anywhere near 100% accurate from a science perspective, it gives me a better than fair idea of the effectiveness of my DC methods.

Good luck on your DC.

For a contrarian point of view, a mentor of mine told me, "You can't polish garbage." No matter what is done to the HF/Jet/Delta single-stage-bag-type system, it still won't be the real deal. These systems can be made less bad, but they can't be made good science. Those who know say the only path to real dust collection efficiency and safety begins with a cyclone and an exterior discharge. From there, better discharge filters can be added. Plenty of information out there if one takes the time to read up on it As always, your lungs, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

Blog Entries
    I would like to suggest that when someone asks for advice about a tool they already own that respondents not refer to it as garbage. I'd also like to thank the people who made helpful suggestions to help me improve my Harbor Freight dust collector.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Vines View Post
    For a contrarian point of view, a mentor of mine told me, "You can't polish garbage." No matter what is done to the HF/Jet/Delta single-stage-bag-type system, it still won't be the real deal. These systems can be made less bad, but they can't be made good science. Those who know say the only path to real dust collection efficiency and safety begins with a cyclone and an exterior discharge. From there, better discharge filters can be added. Plenty of information out there if one takes the time to read up on it As always, your lungs, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines
    I think it depends on your shop and how much you do in it. I have the Harbor Freight dust collector. I immediately junked the bags and got some felt ones from (I think) Grizzly. I work in a two-car garage, and since my wife insists on parking inside, I have to have everything on wheels so I can move into her space when her car is not there. I use a ten-foot hose and hook up to only one machine at a time. I also have a Jet air cleaner. When I work, I do not get a residue of dust all over everything like I did before I had the dust collector. My system does the job for my circumstances.

If I had a real workshop (and money), with pipe-runs and blast-gates and all that good stuff. I certainly would get a cyclone and whatever else I needed to make my place nearly dust-free. But for what I have, HF has provided what I need. I've had no motor or switch problems as others have had. (I use a Long Ranger remote.) It filters well and works for me.

My apologies, Dennis. I should have remembered my mother's advice and "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I should also have explained that quote was from a local shop pro to a woodworker in our group when this guy was at his wit's end after going through a similar situation and asked how-to fix his HF problems. He said he had bought a Harbor Freight unit, replaced both bags with expensive alternatives, added baffles, changed to a particle filter, had problems with both motor and switches just after it was out of warranty. After two years of fighting the problem, the fines were still in the garage and still a deal killer with the spouse. When he added up all he had spent trying to make the HF unit do the impossible, he figured he could have more than bought a cyclone unit.

For all our education, can some of the posters who have positive suggestions post the net costs associated with a successful retrofit?

thnx, jack vines
    Last edited by Jack Vines; 04-06-2008 at 8:34 PM.

HF DC unit - $179 (others have paid less)
    Wynn Environmental Poly-spun filter kit (with plastic bags) - $130
    Wynn Environmental 5" flex hose - $44
    Baffle board - NC (scrap board)
    Twenty foot, 12 AWG cord & plug - $18

Total cost: $371

The cord was all my idea. I didn't like the cheap five foot cord, so I replaced it with a much heavier cord and now I can leave it plugged into a dedicated outlet and move the DC anywhere in the shop. Between the cord and flex hose this unit is plenty agile.

I could have saved a few bucks on the flex hose, but the original filter Wynn shipped was slightly damaged in shipping. It probably would have been okay, just a dent in the top rim and a side was slightly bowed out.

I emailed Wynn about this and they sent me a whole new filter kit to replace the original unit. No questions asked, no charges. First class customer service. And they are very pleasant to talk to. No order is too small for them. They earned my business.

All in all, for $371 I have a single stage DC that meets my needs.

If you buy on sale and go with a less expensive filter (still a very good filter), you can bring your costs down to under $300.

$371 is a start on a cyclone, but you're far short of a complete operational system. Exhausting outdoors may be fine in a rural setting, but in suburban areas it isn't exactly neighborly if legal at all. For the average hobbyist, collecting fines at the point of creation, one machine at a time and having a good ambient air scrubber that can get the 1 micron sized particles is an excellent starting point.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 04-06-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Hobbiest vs Professional tools

Jack
    Certainly if I were a professional (I can assure you I am very,very far from a pro) I wouldn't buy Harbor Freight but as a hobbiest my dust collector probably runs 1-2 hours a week.
    I guess I'm suggesting (this seems to be the thread for my suggestions) that when someone asks about a tool they say whether they're a Pro or Hobbiest , so respondents can reply with that in mind
    Thanks
    Dennis
    PS I have no room left in my shop but I saw small Ryobi 6 1/8"(not the gold standard but OK for a hobbiest) benchtop jointer/planer on Craigslist for $50, went & bought it. It turned out I was only about 4 blocks from Harbor Freight,closest HF is 25 miles from my house,so I went there and as much as I hate to admit it, I love to walk through Harbor Freight
    Thanks
    Dennis

I had the HF dust collector for a little over a year. Got it on sale for $159.00. The first thing I did was change out both bags with 1 micron felt bags. The bags were also a little bigger, with the top one being a good 5" taller. It made a big difference. All in all I was pretty happy with the performance of that DC.

My DC is in a separate room (closet), so any dust that escapes the bags is mostly contained in that room.

I did sell the HF unit a couple of months ago for $100.00 with the original bags. I replaced it with a Reliant 3hp, four bag unit that I found on Craigslist for $200.00. The felt bags I got for the HF unit fit the Reliant unit perfectly. The bottom 2 bags are now the clear plastic style.

I had been using one of the trash can separators on a 30 gallon can, but the new DC was sucking the chips right out of there. This past weekend I threw together a Phil Thien style separator which is sitting on top of a Rubbermaid Brute trash can, on wheels
    Last edited by Mark Engel; 04-08-2008 at 4:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    When I had a HF DC I added:

1) Wynn cartridge filter and plastic bag.
    2) Neutral vane

I didn't dislike the HF but I found a good deal on some used tools and picked up a Jet DC1100 - similar to HF design and added:

3) Phil Thien's baffle (do a search at SMC)

Mike,

What kind of performance change did you notice between your HF unit and your Jet?

I was about to buy a DC1200 and then saw the HF. The HF has me stalling the actual purchase now. It's just so cheap in comparison.

Once I get something, I'll likely do the Thien baffle inside the collector, and maybe even make a solid can on the bottom rather than using a bag.

I just received and installed the Wynn filter and lower bag. They are great people to work with. It's too early to tell but it has to help with the fine dust.

I notice a layer of dust on everything a few days after a good cleanup in the shop. I'm confident I'll see improvement.

Curt

Just thought this might be useful information for the the HF Dust Collector (45378)...

I just received my Grizzly H5783 for my HF Dust collector and it fit perfect without any modifications at all.. it seems to work really well... i was originally going to order the wynn filter but when i called grizzly they said that the filter was a spun bond poly and this one has the handle/flappers already so i thought i would give it a shot. all together i paid $152.00 for the 2hp HF collector and $159.00 for the canister filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Think about putting Phil's Baffle in it. it works great.

Bob