Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for a donation???

Ideas for a donation???

Our local library (small town) does an auction fund raiser every year. This year I advertised in their directory and offered to make a donation (something on the laser) for their auction. I am STUCK. I don't know what to donate. My husband suggested a piece of marble or granite lasered......but with what picture?? Then I thought maybe a bottle of wine and a pair of wine glasses but what would I put on them? I'd like it to be something that would show people what the laser could do since I live in a pretty rural area and most people have no clue what a laser is. I thought about putting a picture of the library on the marble, but they are raising money to build a new library......so that made me think.......would someone want a picture of the old library or the new library?? I also saw some patterns on here for nice boxes made of wood or acrylic and thought about doing that. I am just really stuck here for ideas.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Lisa

Lisa,

I've got several business card sized (romark - flexibrass) 20% off cards for any single purchase. I use them with church auctions, library donations and many other fund raisers that I get tapped for on a weekly basis. I numbered them and I keep track. Before we started writing them down, we had one group that came in once a month (different person). But since we've kept track, they haven't come back as often. It was more of a visual that we are keeping track and not just giving out freebies..

Honestly, only about 20% have come back - but even when they come back, it's in the order of a purchase. And one group (local VFW) specifically requests the card now when they come in - they use it to purchase thank-you for others in the community. Usually several hundred dollars worth - yea - that's a big donation, but in return for the business - I'm good with it!

Steve
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Lisa,

How about a laser engraved wooden wall clock or a wooden desk set that you could engrave?

Search Google images for laser engraved clock. It might give you some ideas.

Just a thought.

Skip
    Skip

WK Laser LC6090 80w - Shopsabre 4896 CNC Router

Blog Entries
    Maybe combine the wall clock idea with a background of the old library. Maybe a matching set, one with the old library, one with the new.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Maybe combine the wall clock idea with a background of the old library. Maybe a matching set, one with the old library, one with the new.

The new library isn't built yet. That would be a good idea for next year's fund raiser if it's done by then Thanks for your help!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Weiser View Post
    Lisa,

How about a laser engraved wooden wall clock or a wooden desk set that you could engrave?

Search Google images for laser engraved clock. It might give you some ideas.

Just a thought.

Skip
    Thank you I will try that.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Beckham View Post
    Lisa,

I've got several business card sized (romark - flexibrass) 20% off cards for any single purchase. I use them with church auctions, library donations and many other fund raisers that I get tapped for on a weekly basis. I numbered them and I keep track. Before we started writing them down, we had one group that came in once a month (different person). But since we've kept track, they haven't come back as often. It was more of a visual that we are keeping track and not just giving out freebies..

Honestly, only about 20% have come back - but even when they come back, it's in the order of a purchase. And one group (local VFW) specifically requests the card now when they come in - they use it to purchase thank-you for others in the community. Usually several hundred dollars worth - yea - that's a big donation, but in return for the business - I'm good with it!

Steve

Do you think people would bid on a 20% off card? I thought about doing something like that, or a gift certificate but I was worried if people don't know what a laser is, what would make them want to bid on a gift certificate for something laser engraved? Know what I mean? So I thought about taking up a piece of marble I have done to set by the gift certificate but then I'd have to make a sign saying it was for display purposes only because sure as heck someone would think they were bidding on the piece of marble that is there.......

Thanks for the idea

Lisa

Also, don't forget to offer to make the cornerstone for the new library too.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

How about offering a memorial plaque - in other words, the people bid on a chance to have their money donated to the library, in memory of a loved one or family or whoever, acknowledged by a laser engraved plaque made by you displayed in the new library? With a small nod to you for making it?

I live in a small rural area too and this is a popular thing to do - people like to see their names hanging in public places.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    How about offering a memorial plaque - in other words, the people bid on a chance to have their money donated to the library, in memory of a loved one or family or whoever, acknowledged by a laser engraved plaque made by you displayed in the new library? With a small nod to you for making it?

I live in a small rural area too and this is a popular thing to do - people like to see their names hanging in public places.

cheers, dee
    That's a pretty good idea. I'd have to talk it over with the library of course.....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hines View Post
    Also, don't forget to offer to make the cornerstone for the new library too.

Can we laser cement? Sorry if that sounds dumb I just haven't tried it And if we can, how much effort would it take? For the laser that is.

Blog Entries
    Even if you can't laser a particular material (you can always have the cornerstone inlaid with a granite plaque.

As for the clock with a pic of the new library, see if you can get a hold of the engineering drawing from the architectural firm who did the design. That may actually work to your advantage as I've always liked the look of an architect's rendering better than a pic of the actual building when it comes to something like this.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan beat me to the punch with the idea about the architectural drawings.

How about a certificate for an engraving of a family photo, or photo of their choosing. You could display an engraving of your family with the certificate. That way people would understand that the engraving is for display purposes only, and they would be able to see what the "finished product" will look like.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

For a library? How about bookmarks? Depending of the number of items, you could make a bunch of bookmarks with the library's name / maybe an image... put your name on the back. Add a nice tassel and you'd be set. Maybe make extras for the library to give away. At least you'd be getting your name out to a large number of people...
    Pinnacle/Mercury 30w Corel x3. Laser Master 8.0v3 Photoshop

No - the discount card is not good for auctions because "how much do you bid for a % off of what item?" It does make a good door prize.

But in the case of being consistent and giving a lot - you might want to come up with a standard gift or standard price range. If not - you'll have people giving you the "but you gave so-in-so a bigger item." I know sounds crazy that someone getting a gift would balk, but that's been my experience. It becomes an expectation and then at some point a community social program for every fundraiser in town.

Trust me - you give to one group - and everyone will add you to their "gift-givers" list. If you have a standard gift item (like my card we use) it's not a favortism thing - and everyone that asks understands when you show them a list of people that got the same thing...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.