Thread: Possible Compressor Gloat

Possible Compressor Gloat

I've been watching Craigs and E*bay for a couple of years looking for a 3 or 5HP Quincy with the industrial model 325 pump. I was close to buying one here recently that had a 5HP 3PH motor but it looked really rough and it had an 80 gal tank which is really large for my space.

For those that don't know Quincy 325 compressors, they run at very low RPMs and they are very quiet relative to all others. This one runs at 400 RPM. The pump alone weights 155 lbs.

Today I bought one for $300. It's a 325-15 pump with a 3HP 1PH motor. Seller claimed he bought it from a dentist who was friends with his parents. Claimed it was in service at a dental office for 20 years. The orange in the pic is dirt from being outside the last few years.

The compressor is in really nice shape, very clean and complete. I haven't tried to power it, the seller claimed the motor didn't run, but he was very unsophisticated and I'm not sure he knew how to wire it up.

The pump makes pressure. It was moved 6 times by the seller, (never hooked up) so it has a dented belt guard. and it's missing an air intake filter.

Worst case I need a motor and I need to rebuild the compressor.

Anyone here know anything about these compressors? I can't believe how gigantic the pump and motor are. I've been using a Speedair 3HP that draws 16 amps at 220V. It's tiny compared to this beast. Here is a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking compressor. It's got more style than most I have seen. I guess I am getting a bit too into tools for their looks and design, but it sure looks like a quality piece. I bought an 80 Gallon Shulz 5HP for a good price (new) but it is huge and it has no charm compared to yours. Hopefully parts are available and it is easy to spruce yours up.

Definitely a gloat!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

UPDATE +++++

I just replaced a bad starter cap and it fired up. Looks like the motor is fine. Now to get a new unloader valve and an intake filter. Wow, 400 RPM is slow and this thing is really quiet...joe