Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on overhead table saw blade guard

Need advice on overhead table saw blade guard

Looking to get an overhead blade guard for my Unisaw mostly for the dust collection. Looking at Excalibur or Exactor. Just looking to hear experiences with either of these products (or any other, home made included) and advice on where to best purchase. Thanks in advance!

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I have the Exactor. I would give it a B+. It helps with the dust a lot, especially on middle of the board rip cuts. When you are cutting a rabbet on an edge or trimming off an edge, it misses a lot. What I really like about it is that it is very easy to move out of the way when not in use (e.g. with a cross cut sled, dado, etc.).

So I'm not raving about it, but it was worth the $$.

Jim,

I was looking for an easily removable splitter with a blade guard that had good dust collection. I didn't want a boom arm. I ended up getting a Shark Guard.
    I like it a lot.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1168228127

That looks great, Mark. Unfortunately, I have 24' high ceilings and I require a boom arm as well. Thanks for posting!

Brett Guard

Hi Jim,

Have you looked at the Brett guard? It's the only one I've ever used, but I really like the fact that it is very stout and acts as a hold-down unlike some of the others that ride up and over the wood during the cut. I'm right next door (Lunenburg), so feel free to PM me if you'd like to come and give it a hands on.

John

exactor

Agreed with Jesse on the exactor on all counts, absolutely worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Hi Jim,

Have you looked at the Brett guard? It's the only one I've ever used, but I really like the fact that it is very stout and acts as a hold-down unlike some of the others that ride up and over the wood during the cut. I'm right next door (Lunenburg), so feel free to PM me if you'd like to come and give it a hands on.

John
    Hi John, Very kind offer, might take you up on that. I'm most interested in dust collection. How does it work for DC?

Blog Entries
    I have the PSI which is not in the class of the Excalibur or Exactor. I am glad to have it and here's my take as it would apply to any overarm:

pros -
    Dust collection - you need some serious suck to make this a good feature though.
    Safety - clear hood with good visibility and a decent width to allow "wiggle" room on either side of the blade without making contact.
    Swing-away - The unit moves quickly and easily out of the way as required so I am more inclined to put it into position when I should.

cons -
    DC requirements - You need a lot of suck as mentioned above or chips get away from the airstream.
    Duct size - Mine has only a 2-1/2" hose at the hood, expands to 3" for the boom and 4" at the exit. Wish it was 4" all the way.

I don't use it on every cut but I do use it almost every time I am using the saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A friend of mine has this one. I'm gonna buy it, too and build a boom:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tsguard-dh.html
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Dust Collection

Jim,

The brett guard has a 2" port in it, which I find to be more than adequate since there is not much open space around the guard. I actually sometimes have a problem with too much suction, it will pick up small cutoffs from time to time.

The door is always open...

John

Hi, I have an Excalibur on a General 650 and like the guard very much.

The dust collection is excellent when cutting sheet goods, or any material which is as large as the footprint of the guard.

It's great to be sawing melamine and have a clean shop, and clean apron, as opposed to an apron pocket full of dust.

I also have the Merlin removable splitter on the saw.

Regards, Rod.

I built my own but would suggest the Shark Guard by Lee S. Excellent quality and works like a charm...

Sarge...

Another vote cast for the Shark, I have version 8. Nicely made, not ridiculously priced and the newer ones have 4" DC openings.
    Rumor is there's a new one in the works as well, version 9.0 IIRC.
    Lee says he's got his shop tooled up to cut down lead time as well, he's as good to deal with as any.

Cheers.
    Greg

I was very pleased with the Excalibur that I had on the cabinet saw I used to have in the shop. Worked very well and was easy to remove when the need occured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I get around to it, I'm going to sell my older Excalibur and get a Shark guard.
    Jay St. Peter