Thread: Haunted Laser.....I am calling Ghost Hunters !

Haunted Laser.....I am calling Ghost Hunters !

I was not drinking or anything I swear ! My sister in law needed a multi-tool and I had a cheap one from Laserbits I was gonna give her.

Anyways my brother was over and we were engraving some stuff and put the multitool in the laser. Used the center-center print function and hit the Go button.

I am still at the point I watch the laser like a little kid saying thats the coolest thing ever !

And right when I said that was lined up PERFECT the tool moved about 1/4 of an inch.

Nothing hit it and its a fairly hefty tool for the exhaust to move it. My laser is haunted !

Any other explanations ?
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

You never set the home key. I usually check and put the pointer on running a dummy run with the lid open. You can stop it after a couple of seconds if it is wrong. Or, your laser is haunted, which is becoming more of occurence.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    Frank, I think Anthony was saying the tool itself moved a bit.

Anthony, was the tool possibly laying on top of one of the rivets/screws holding it together? Maybe it just tilted to one side after being nudged by the airflow...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Maybe the little magnets that hold the height guage are so unbelievably strong that they affected the non-magnetic stainless steel that your tool is made from.

Or it could be gremlins.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

A lot of stainless is magnetic, so Doug might have actually touched on something. Knife blades are commonly made from 400 series stainless, which many grades of are magnetic. Not to mention all the screws and rivets they use could easily be magnetic.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've had the rivets sitting really close to a hole and have them 'jump' into the hole with the vibrations. I always set the knives on foam now and I always start the raster with the door open to make sure it's not going to wobble with the speed of the head moving.

But I'll never put it past an ET type being in the laser! Shhh - it's a conspiracy.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Who you gonna call??

Ghostbusters!

No, not really. My guess is either the auto-focus plunger or air-assist nozzle hit the tool as it rastered. Especially true if the tool isn't perfectly flat.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Maybe it was your magnetic personality

Nope yer all wrong!!! It's shop gremlins, every shop has them, I got a thousand running around mine.. The funny thing is, the older I get the more gremlins I seem to have.. Once your over 60, the retched things follow you everywhere... Have something in your hand, put it down...IT'S GONE!!! Find something you have been missing for a while and decide to put it someplace so you'll know exactly where it is the next time you need it? Might as well just throw the damn thing in the garbage, because you will never see it again!! Shop Gremlins..Their gonna drive me nuts and theres not a darn thing I can do about it... Grrrrrrrr..Damn!!! Now their even screwing up my spellig..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it