Thread: Using My Bosses Lasers

Question Using My Bosses Lasers

I have been working in a trophy shop for a little over two years. I have a what I would think is a great working relationship with my boss. Ever since I started he lets me and others use his equipment after hours if we have our own materials to work with.

Recently I have begun to work with acrylic mirror. I am having a lot of fun with it. Anyway I made a gift for a friend, and they want to buy some more, plus they know other people who would like to buy them.

I wouldn't feel comfortable just making them and selling them. My boss has to pay for the power and life of the laser.

First how should do you think I should approach this, and also what do you think the best payment system would be?
    I have worked for QuickTrophy LLC since 2006.
    Trotec Speedy 360, 3 Universal PLS 360's, 1 M-360, and VLS 230
    We also do color work using a Mimaki UJF-3042Fx and Sublimation Equipment

Blog Entries
    It is a sticky situation, but if your relationship is as good as you claim (not many bosses let you do side work on their equipment), you should be able to approach him without a problem. Consider working out a deal where he receives a percentage of the profit. Make it enough that he would be able to pay for wear and tear on the equipment (and lights, A/C, etc. to run the shop itself) as well as a little more over the top. It's business that he wouldn't necessarily have without your side jobs, so you should make it worth his while by giving up a little profit to him. You both come out winners... he gets a little extra dough with no extra work on his part, and you get a little extra dough using equipment you wouldn't necessarily have free/easy access to.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That seems like a good idea. Otherwise I was thinking of going a by the minute or the 1/2 hour route. He is easy going, but I'm always nervous to ask him things like this.

I'm glad you asked and are approaching this in an ethical manner. I had to fire someone for using mine after hours for personal gain. I have never had a problem with employees using my equipment to make things for themselves or friend/family member gifts, but once they start selling they are competing against their own employer, and in this case she was using it without permission.

One way is to suggest that he offer the items and that you get some kind of bonus/commission for finding the buyers. If he's not interested in doing that then a machine rental could be agreed upon, which would have to be based upon the original price of the laser, tube replacement cost, and electricity used per hour. It will vary by machine make and power. As the owner he should be the one to figure that out and tell you the hourly amount. Then you will have to decide if it's worth it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Matt, I'd first like to say I wish there were more people with work ethics like yours!

Secondly, I agree with Joe that you should ask your boss if he would consider carrying this new line. I would think any businessman would jump at the chance to increase $$ without having to buy new equipment and be happy to have a go-getter for an employee who is not trying to cheat him. If he's not interested in this, then you'll know you are not competing with him for customers and the rental deal will be more acceptable to him.

Just my 2¢ -- dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thanks for the input Joe. I wouldn't want him to get screwed on this.

Incrementalism

Matt,

Your drumming up side business could also be seen as the first step in possibly going into your own business.

I suppose I see it that way, because, before I started my own business (1990) my employer knew I needed to make more money than he could afford to pay and actually offered the use of his equipment for my side jobs, as a means of keeping me as an employee, for a couple years longer than I would have otherwise stayed on.

You may not be thinking along those lines now, but given enough success with your product(s), I suspect you will.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

David that is exactly my thoughts on things. Now I need to convince my wife! I would love to go into business for myself at least part time. My boss offered to sell our M-360 to me a while back, not sure how serious he was though!

Matt, I'm in the same boat you are. However, we are not in the laser engraving business. We only brought in a laser system to replace our old roll-stamping process. So in essence, I'm not stealing business away from my company, but I am using the equipment, electricity, and the building itself.

I have a very good relationship with management so I'm not worried about asking them. I just need to get all the information I need first before jumping into it. I have no idea how to calculate the energy consumption though amongst the other odds and ends, but it may small enough where it wouldn't bother them. I don't know, we'll just have to see. I plan on asking this Saturday.

Bryan