Thread: Vector Cutting???

Vector Cutting???

Hello everyone.

Just a quick question, I have a 35w Epilog and am wanting to cut business cards. Last time I vectored it was for a miniclock. My question, I hope this don't sound too stupid, is sanding the only way to get the burn off this sides of the wood? in my limited understanding of vectoring, I think it is. Please help me to understand if there is a better way.

Eric
    Eric Jackson
    Turned Treasure's Inc.
    Director, River Region Chaplain Service
    Titus 2:7,"..be an example unto them by doing good deeds of everykind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

Try Windex or alcohol to take the char off. You might also be using too much power. When mine is set right it leaves very little char unless I have to use a lot of power to go through something thick.
    Sandee Force

A few dollars spent contributing to SMC will save you hundreds of dollars in time and materials.

I agree, if your settings are right, it will leave a dark brown edge, not black with charring (on most of the laser friendly wood I have played with).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

When I did cards, I'd take a finished stack, making something like a block, and use masking tape to pull off the majority of residue. Getting this off first will help to prevent soot from sliding down between the cards. Follow through with a dry cotton cloth until you can't get anymore off.
    ULS M-360 35W, Corel X3

Thanks so much for the help.
    Eric
    Eric Jackson
    Turned Treasure's Inc.
    Director, River Region Chaplain Service
    Titus 2:7,"..be an example unto them by doing good deeds of everykind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

Eric

I agree with the others about lower power/higher speed but I like diluted citrus cleaner for cleaning finished wood. If it hasn't been finished then sanding is the best option. Edges should be dark brown, not charred.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7