Thread: Used Grizzly 10" TS....

Used Grizzly 10" TS....

...for sale locally (Craigslist).

Description: "Almost new Grizzly 10" cabinet table saw w/3 horse motor $600 "

Pic attached. Looks like a 1023S, but I'm not sure how 'new' it is. Any thoughts or experiences from anyone that's purchased one of these used?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    ...for sale locally (Craigslist).

Description: "Almost new Grizzly 10" cabinet table saw w/3 horse motor $600 "

Pic attached. Looks like a 1023S, but I'm not sure how 'new' it is. Any thoughts or experiences from anyone that's purchased one of these used?
    I bought the Shop Fox 5hp version used. Same saw, just a bigger motor. I love it. I'd say go for it. If you can talk him down further, great, if not, I think it's worth $600. If you buy it, since you don't know how old it is, I would recommend checking things like the bearings, arbor, and belts. Also check to make sure the set screw are in the belt pulleys. But it's a good saw, even if you have to do a little bit to it.

It looks like a 1023 right tilt saw to me. I think the $600 is just a little high priced however. But, the motor cover on the pictured one is worth $32 and what kind of blade is on it. If it's a $100 blade that would count for something. Maybe you can talk the seller down to $500 then pounce on it.
    I paid $400 for mine and it had a slider attachment on it, but no blade.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

The same thing new

is $1091.50 delivered. The guy probably said 50% of new, a common assumption. 1023's are good saws-I have one-so $600 isn't bad. It would depend on whether it was used in a commercial environment. If you could hear it run and wiggle the arbor checking for play, that would be a plus. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little wiggle room in that price, though.

50% of the new price he paid for it.

50% of the new price he paid for it.

That saw was going for 850 three to four years ago. With Grizzly, the saws have just gotten better. The older the saw, the less you should pay for it, and the more likely you are to have problems. Grab the serial number off it, call Grizzly and find out when it was manufactured.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Two years ago I paid $650 for a 1023SL, with Shopfox base and both short/long rails, from one of the contributors here. It was about 4 years old, had been used a good bit, but was in very good condition. In my mind this was a good deal, but no gloat.

Short rails only, no base - $600 would be my top dollar if it really is "like new."

As stated, 50% of new is a good place to start. pull off the cover to the start button, there should be a date of manufacture there. It will give you a ballpark for actual age, I'd guess within a 6 month window or so.

Even though it might be older, a good value still. new bearings are still less expensive than new saws. FWIW, the motor covers for the right tilt 1023's cost nearly 60 bucks. They have a flange on two sides and are screwed to the cabinet.

The new ones (left tilt models I believe) have half a hinge welded on one side, and a clip on the other. You can make them work on the older saws if you want to fuss with it.

As for what he paid, Taunton's 2004 tool guide lists 1095.00 plus shipping. (oldest one I've got)

Jim