Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Just thought I'd finally introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while now and learning. I finally decided to get some real tools to use in my small 22x40 garage. I have a Grizzly dust collector on order and I'm hoping to get a g0691 ordered while they are still on sale. I am interested mostly in cabinet making as I have a lot of projects my wife and I would like to do on the house such as a new pantry. We'll see where this hobby goes from there. The cars do not normally stay in the garage so I usually have plenty of room to spread out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jeremy - welcome to the Creek. I guess you'll be hearing from me as I don't have a garage but I do build cabinets. Looking forward to hearing about your projects. Be prepared for opinion overload here - all well intentioned and consistently good to great advice.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hi Jeremy! Welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hello, Jeremy. Welcome. Great idea to start with dust collection!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Welcome Jeremy. You already know what a great forum this os, since youve been lurking. Glad you decide to take the plunge, so to speak, and join us!
    Fred

May I suggest that before you begin to buy equipment, you take a starter (or refresher) course at a nearby school?

Mario Rodriguez has an ongoing concern at the Philadelphia Furniture workshop.
    If you keep a list of all the items you actively use in a given week, that's your starting point for purchases.

I did the same at the Boston equivalent, and found myself drawn to the (much less expensive) hand tool way of doing things.
    The side benefit is that I can still park both cars in the garage.

http://www.philadelphiafurniturework...w/show/58.html

Jeremy, the dust collector is one of the first "tools" I bought when I built my garage based shop so I think that was smart of you. It sure makes it much easier to keep things clean. Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to learn and share experiences.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I would like to add my welcome as well. The Creek is a great web site and loads of information and help are available here. Enjoy!!! I started out with and old Sears table saw and moved up to a Jet contractors saw and, after much searching, found a Delta Cabinet saw for a great price. I did side jobs over the years to add money to my "weasel sack" which I used to update and purchase new tools. It's been a lot of fun (and sometimes frustration) to build things for our home and for friends.

Welcome. You will love it here - for the active commentary as well as the historical information stored!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Thank you all for the welcome. My G1029Z2P should be here any day. Its looking like I should be able to get the table saw ordered next week before the sale is over. Im looking forward to making things and learning even more from everyone here. I do have the little Porter Cable portable table saw and I can't wait til I no longer have to use it.

Welcome Jeremy!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jeremy, first WELCOME! It looks like you're a hobbiest and experienced with table saws, but just in case you only used the small portable minimally and never had lessons or had an expert go over the dangers of a powerful table saw like the G0691....may I most heartly suggest you take an introductory course or at least buy one of the several DVD's out there which go over the proper use and safety procedures for them. I love my Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw, but it can be a killer, not figuratively...literally. I didn't take a course, but bought Kelly Meher's excellent video on Table Saws and learned so much. There are others, but the best advice given me at the beginning of this great hobby was to do that and I've never regretted the money spent on that DVD. My LOML loves the cabinets I've made for her. Remember on this site...no photos, didn't happen. Show us your cabinets. We'll be waiting.