Thread: Airbrush Help

Airbrush Help

I recently purchased an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. I thought I could hook it up to my compressor. It's supposed to not exceed 40psi. However, the tank psi says 135psi on start up. I have a separate regulator for the airbrush but all it does is leak air to make the psi comes within spec. This drains the tank pretty fast.

What do you guys with airbrushes do?

Thanks,
    Burt

i use an air adjusting valve and gauge on the end of the hose that connects between the air line to the air brush and the air line from the compressor. you can set it to 35 psi and that is all that will go to the air brush. i also use one on my full size gun. i hope this might help.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Lowes sells an air adjusting valve with gauge for $15. In the picture I didn't see where the adjuster is.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...126-KBA12000AV

Is this what you were referring to?

Thanks,
    Burt
    Last edited by Burt Alcantara; 04-10-2008 at 8:40 PM.

Burt,

This sounds like the regulator problem. Do you drain the tank regularly? Is that a regulator/filter combo? You may have moisture and /or oil in your air line to cause the drain valve to be sticky.
    Gordon

hi burt,
    no , its not at lowe's, try www.spraygundepot.com it is an air adjusting valve and gauge , it goes very close to the gun on the hose.brand name is devilbiss.

Tim,
    Which regulator do you have? They have quite a few and the first few look expensive!

Burt
    Last edited by Burt Alcantara; 04-10-2008 at 9:02 PM.

it just hooks inbetween the air line and the gun so when it is opened all the way it should let alot of air through. if that is not happening it is most likely bad ( or plugged up ).
    yes , i hooked up a ball valve and use it and the drains at my dryers to drian the tank and lines.
    the air adjusting valves and gauges i use are # dev hav - 511 devilbiss $25.00 from spray gun depot.tim .m.

I have a regulator mounted between the tank outlet and the air hose. Usually leave it set at 80 psig, but can dial it down to lower pressure for spraying or whatever. The compressor is about 35 years old, so have no idea how it is done these days.
    Richard in Wimberley

Don't you have two gages at the compressor. One that shows the pressure in the holding tank the other that allows you to regulate the pressure on the outlet side. The second one usually has an adjusting knob to set the pressure to the outlet side of the hose. When you are using it when you first set it the pressure will bleed off but stabilize at the selected pressure. The airbrush should only take a few CFM and the compressor should not cycle all that often unless your holding tank is small.

I have a regulator psi and a tank psi gauge. The regulator gauge will stop at the psi that I set it at but the tank gauge indicates it fills to 135psi.

Since the air is coming from the tank, wouldn't that psi be 135 until it depletes? Or, am I totally wrong on this (I hope)?

The tank is 4 gal.

Burt

The pressure in the tank will drop as air is used, down to the point it is et to run again.

You can set the regulator down to where you want, and it should not bleed off the tank to that pressure. This is the point: You have one (higher) pressure on one sied (tank) that gets regulated to output a lower pressure (hose).

If that regulator is bleeding off the tank pressure, there is a problem with it. It is probably just as good to replace at that point. If it was a top en regulator, then rebuilding with new springs, etc. would be the choice. One of the biggest causes of malfunction is corrosion caused by water. drain the tank regularly.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim A. Mitchell View Post
    One of the biggest causes of malfunction is corrosion caused by water. drain the tank regularly.
    If the compressor is the oil type. Usually there is some minute oil in the air line, or if you over fill with oil, or the pump head is old. The compressed air is hot at the tank, the air can hold more moisture and oil. After the air passing though air line or when the air flow slows down, the moisture and oil mist would condensate. Not necessary corrosion, a lot of time you just have to take it apart and clean it up. If that is the case, put a airline filter in between your tank and your regulator. Bleed off the tank and the bottom of your filter at the end of the day. Water sitting on the bottom of the tank would cause corrosion.
    Gordon

The Iwata unit, while sold as a regulator is not a regulator. It is a very expensive bleed valve who's intended use is for tankless compressors with "high" psi (40psi). To get to 30psi, the bleed valve is opened to match the psi.

Sucks big time.

Dixie Arts, where I bought this is charging me a 10% restocking fee. Will never buy from them again!

Sorry for all of this nonsense. At least I finally understood tank/regulator input/output/psi.

Burt