Thread: Band saw - PM - MiniMax ??

Band saw - PM - MiniMax ??

All,

I am just about to purchase a band saw and have a few questions. First a bit of background. I am a hobby woodworker. My intended use for a band saw will be cutting curves, and some rewawing. I am looking at a 14" saw (with a riser block if it is a cast iron frame). I have been told that I will be very unhappy with the saw if I don't go to the PowerMatic 14 as a minimum starting point. OK, that will fit into the tool budget (just barely). I have read about the MiniMax saws, and they seem to be the real answer. I can't justify the 16" MiniMax, but was curious about the 14". As I understand, the 16" MiniMax is made in the USA and is a GREAT saw, the 14", however is a Tiawan machine and I have been told that a lot o corners have been cut. As I will have to live with this saw for quite a while (for ever), I want to get the best saw for the money, and purchase the tool only once.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on these two saws, and/or other saws that I should be considering? I am looking for something in the $900 range.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read, and hopefully, respond to my questions.

Greg

MiniMax is made in Italy, not the USA; however, the company (for US sales) is based in Austin Texas.

I think that the ascertation you were given that you'll not be happy unless you go to the PM 14" at a minimum is quite accurate...it's a very subjective thing! There are a lot of great saws available in the $500-1500 price range which will give you great results in curved cutting, yet perform well for resawing. The latter requires power and stiffness, which is why I'll suggest you consider some form of Euro-design saw, no matter what the source. The heavy welded steel "backbone" flexes less than the typical cast structures of the Delt/Jet/Pm/other import 14" saws and you need that stiffness to be able to tension a wider blade for resawing. The downside to the Euro style saws is usually in the standard blade guide design. It doesn't lend itself well to very narrow blades...Cool Blocks, if available, are the right answer for that with wooden guides as the second choice. Both types allow you to bury a narrow blade in the guide safely and without hurting the set of the teeth.

The MiniMax 14" saw is a stout machine, especially when you compare it to the higher end "standard' 14" bandsaws out there. I don't have any doubt it will perform well. But do consider a machine with a little larger wheels if you can as it will give you more blade choice flexibility when you are resawing. Many folks are pretty happy with the Grizzly G0513 in this respect, and it's available at a very attractive price.

I do own and love the MiniMax MM16 and am not disappointed in what I paid for it. 3.5hp powers through resawing and thick, wet bowl blanks like butter and I'll soon have the Cool Blocks to deal with narrow blades as I spoke about above. The company has been wonderful to do business with, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...