Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Do I Make My Own Variable Frequency Drive?

A Price

Well, a new from the manufacturer Yaskawa v1000 series 5 HP VFD was just quoted to me at $600.00. With the 33% drop in power that happens, revealed to us by Brian W., this drive would be rated just fine. But that's quite a chunk of change. I will have to see what else is out there.

Hutch

Post Matt,

I sent you some information about the $$$ on this paticular VFD - Yaskawa ~ Considerably less than what you were quated-It pays to know someone in the industry - I have had mine for 3 years with absolutly nothing but enjoyment and no problems what so ever.
    Brian

Post Matt,

I sent you some additional information about retrofitting your rollestone Headstock bearings~ good news! After looking at the headstock (blown up) It's a perfect candidate for pillow block bearings and it will not change the style of the headstock , but it is definitely going to improve the performance! you won't need any thrust bearings as well.
    Brian

Well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    I don't know much about this stuff. I don't have a rotary phase converter, or a static one for that matter, but I want to buy a more powerful motor for my lathe. Of course, it is a 3 phase motor, and I was hoping to be able to go from a step pulley system to a variable speed drive. Anybody know how to do this for the least amount of money? Thanks.

Hutch
    Well I would say a Masters in Electrical Engineering would be a good start . . . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Yeah, I can tell you from experience that a BSEE doesn't help much. At least I had a very small amount of on-the-job experience with VFDs--mostly controlling them though.