Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had $700

If you had $700

Good Afternoon, I am going to be upgrading my TS soon and I would like to spend around $700 give or take. So if you had $700 to spend on a TS what would you get try to keep in mind shipping if it has to be shipped. I would like a contractor saw (cabinet saws I believe are way out of this range) with a decent fence.
    Thanx

In that price range, I would look for a used Unisaw, PM 66, or Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw with a good fence (probably a bies-style fence), or perhaps a used or on sale Craftsman Zip Code saw, or the Steel City clone.

In the contractor saw arena, lots of people are happy with their Rigid contractor saw, and I had good luck with the Delta and the T2 fence from Lowes ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...979&lpage=none ). Regardless, make sure you buy a good blade. If you buy a contractor saw, I recommend getting a link belt, as it will greatly reduce vibration.

ive been eyeing the Ridgid 3660 (formerly labeled 3650) lots of good reviews about it on the net. its around $549 at home depot and ive seen people say they have gotten it as low as 380 on sale

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90167+500744

General 50-185

Derek,

I have a General 50-185 contractor's saw. It got a lot of press a few years ago (won "Best Overall" I think in FWW's tool guide). It has a very good fence and plenty of power (2hp). Mine had negligible runout on the arbor and any other tune-up adjustments I've had to make are very easy. Although it is a contractor's saw, the dust collection is pretty good if you've got a good DC unit.

I think a link belt would be a good idea but I found that the one I bought kept slipping out of the pulleys. I'm not sure if there are different widths to link belts, but I know you can buy replacement pulleys (woodcraft? lee valley?) that are sold with the link belts. For me, vibration hasn't been a big issue, although there is quite a bit on start-up/shut-down.

I also bought the General mobile base for it, which I like quite a bit.

Not sure what this saw costs now, but I got mine for $650 a few years ago.

Good luck.

I was in the same boat six months back, and found a used Delta Platinum Edition Unisaw with the 50" Bies fence on craigslist. I'm a big advocate of recycling other people's heavy iron.

Hi Derek - A used 3hp cabinet saw is the most saw for the money if you've got 220v. If not, a hybrid saw offers many of the advantages of a cabinet saw but has the duty rating, power, and price range closer to a contractor saw. They're essentially an evolution of the contractor saw but move the motor inside the cabinet.

The Jet Proshop is an excellent example....the 708480k is on sale from Amazon for $630 shipped. It's also available with cast iron wings as the 708482k. The Craftsman 22114 and 22124 are also excellent hybrids that offer cabinet mounted trunnions for easy alignment...the 22124 has a commercial Biesemeyer fence. It tends to be more expensive than $700 but does venture into that range on sale...it's more frequently on sale for ~ $850, but the 22114 is in range and goes on sale occasionally below $600. Sometimes the Delta 36-715 dips into range too.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-11-2008 at 1:52 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Used and Hybrid

I like the used and hybrid suggestions I will have to consider these thank you

Do you plan on this being your permanent saw or a stepping stone? If its going to be a stepping stone I would suggest a used contractors saw (unless you find a good deal on a new Ridgid saw mentioned above). If you are looking for something more permanent. I say wait until you can come up with just a little bit more. Grizzly's hybrid is $871 shipped.

You might have a little trouble finding used hybrids close to home since they have not been around that long.

Hi Derek, I just started using my new Jet ProShop with the cast wings. It is great compared to my last saw, a rigid 2400. I
    don't have alot of experience but I think I am in love with this saw (don't tell my hubby). I really like the cast wings.
    They just make the saw feel so solid.
    Lori K

Grizzly would be my choice...don't buy used if you can buy new.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

Rob Will Guest
    I would buy a used USA made cabinet saw.
    Depending on what you find and the price, you might be able to upgrade the fence yourself.

Rob

Buy American I agree

I am in the process of rebuilding a Delta Unisaw, 1955 vintage. If you are mechanically inclined it will be easy. The trick is to find a good saw that needs some TLC with the proper motor phase and voltage for your shop for starters.
    I would not go older than my saw. You can search Craigslist and a few other sites as well, I go to the tool section and type in (table saw).
    There is a site you can look into for parts and rebuild info.
    www.Thesawcenter.com
    and also www.owwm.com for equipment info and the like.

When I'm done I should have about 700 +/- in mine but I already have a B fence for it.

There are some deals to be had in good used equipment due to the economy.

I sure like the steadyness of a good cabinet saw.

Phil

For the $$, you simply cannot beat the features of the ridgid 3660, you would be able to also get a nice blade and not go over your budget.
    "What happens in the garage, often through no fault of it's own, stays in the garage....."

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Larson View Post
    Good Afternoon, I am going to be upgrading my TS soon and I would like to spend around $700 give or take. So if you had $700 to spend on a TS what would you get try to keep in mind shipping if it has to be shipped. I would like a contractor saw (cabinet saws I believe are way out of this range) with a decent fence.
    Thanx
    Derek, is it important to you to buy a new saw? If I had $700 to spend, I'd watch the used ads for a cabinet saw, jet or import, with a Biesemeyer style fence. IMHO, the new saws at that price level are WAY below an older cabinet saw. I you can't find a cabinet saw, I would then look for an older contractors saw with a great fence on it...joe

If you don't mind the wait (it's about 2 mos.), I was able to order a Jet Proshop through Lowes for $614. I used a 10% off coupon for this. I got a good hybrid. With this deal and an amazon sale, you'd be able to add a nice blade for $700