Thread: Making Layered Corian Blanks & Center Bands ***PICS***

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Making Layered Corian Blanks & Center Bands ***PICS***

When trying to respond to Jerry's "how to" post on this subject I decided to take a few photos today while I was prepping some blanks myself. Even though Dennis has already pretty much answered Jerry's question I thought I would give it a shot.

The photos were too numerous to put in a post so I generated a web page to describe this process. I made the pens below with some of the blanks shown in the making the step by step process.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken ,
    Thanks for the info and your pens once again are Beautiful....

Just checked out your pics...
    You sure make it look easy
    Last edited by Julie Wright; 03-28-2004 at 9:29 PM.
    Keep those lathes spinning
    TheWrightPen.com

Julie described it perfectly . . . you DO make it look easy!!

I think that with those photos even I can do it!!! I also appreciate the extra touch of making your shop look busy by scattering around some of the corian dust and shavings!! Nice touch!

My biggest challenge will be the cutting on the band saw. I have a Sears BS and even with a good blade it wants to cut to the right as I look at it. I tried using a fence to resaw some wood and the blade just won't cut parallel to the slot in the table.

I guess I need to find the book and check the adjustments.

Thanks a ton . . . I'll give it a try.

Jerry

Jerry

I bandsaw Corian all of the time with no leading of the blade. I resaw 1/2" peaces up to 6" wide into 1/16" for some projects. Here is what I do:

I use the Wood Slicer blade from Highland Hardware. I am on my second one in 10 years. When You order don't tell them that you use it for Corian they do not believe that it works.

I use a hlf fence. that is a second fence attached to the first that stops at the teeth. This avoids the pressure against the blade caused by expansion and tension release at the cutting site.

Start at no more than 20 seconds per inch. speed up as you become comfortable. never faster than 10 inches per minute.

I hope this helps.

Contact me if you need the package "How To Work With Corian In The Home Workshop" It hs free.

Ken Dolph
    "And now for something completely different..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    When trying to respond to Jerry's "how to" post on this subject I decided to take a few photos today while I was prepping some blanks myself. Even though Dennis has already pretty much answered Jerry's question I thought I would give it a shot.

The photos were too numerous to put in a post so I generated a web page to describe this process. I made the pens below with some of the blanks shown in the making the step by step process.

Ken the pens look great as usual. I looked and the pictures you posted and I was wondering how much sanding you have to do? What type of sandpaper do you use and what grit do you sand them down to? TIA.

DK

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Klug
    Ken the pens look great as usual. I looked and the pictures you posted and I was wondering how much sanding you have to do? What type of sandpaper do you use and what grit do you sand them down to? TIA.

DK
    I attach 3M Gold paper (sticky back paper) to a piece of glass. Anything around 80 to 120 grit works fine.