Thread: Tool Storage & Organization

Tool Storage & Organization

Joe McMahon asked me to post some pictures of my tool storage above my workbench so here it is.

These are the boards to the right of the window. I got the idea from on old Tools & Shops issue of Fine Woodworking so I cannot claim credit. Since I have sheetrock walls, it's difficult to fasten tool holders anywhere I want so these boards solve that problem. Basically, they are each just two edge glued boards with a French cleat to hold them to the wall. Then you can make any type of custom holder you want to hold each of the tools. Most of my holders are simple small shelves or pegs. There are also some cleat style holders for planes and notched shelves for things like marking tools. I like the wall storage as the tools are in easy reach and I always know where to look for them.

Rasps, files, saw sharpening files and spokeshaves to the left of the window.

The French cleat. The one to the right of the window is long enough to hold 4 boards. This also makes it easy to move the boards if I need to.

The holders for the planes.

Marking and measuring tools.

Chisels and my drawknife.

Saws are just held in a shelf with saw kerfs. Braces and hand drills hang between two pegs.

Finally, anything that does not hang conveniently on the wall resides on a shelf under the bench top.

So what type of tool storage does everyone else use?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    I store my tools on shelves, until I can build a cabinet for them (too many other projects at the moment). I am enjoying your other thread about building the cabinet.
    Hey, a question for you -- how long is that transitional jointer? What make and model # is it?
    Thanks,
    Andy

I currentlyhave my saws hanging on a peg board, something I hope to rectify this summer. Everything else is on or in various shelves and cabinets and tool boxes, the most recent being a 30 inch quarter sawn oak machinests chest, it was a good price and looks great.

Things will change as I do a reorganization that I suspect will never truly ever be finished.

By the way nice solutions Robert.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

I have a clear plastic storage box for shorts, I put a scrape divider at the top and bottom of the middle to seperate real shorts from longer stuff and put casters at the corners on the bottom. I also have scraps of plywood with casters on the bottom I use for setting cardboard boxes of specific spiecies on, makes it easy to move to clean under and to move away from corner to sort thru.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Homan View Post
    I store my tools on shelves, until I can build a cabinet for them (too many other projects at the moment). I am enjoying your other thread about building the cabinet.
    Hey, a question for you -- how long is that transitional jointer? What make and model # is it?
    Thanks,
    Andy
    It's a Stanley #33 (I think). It's 28" long. It's real nice for match planing for edge glue ups. I really don't use it much anymore as I have a 30" woodie sitting on the shelf under the bench that I prefer . Interested ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Rozaieski View Post
    A shop is an ever-changing environment for me. Depending what I am making and what's involved, a wall that is a tool rack may become the 'back splash' covered with plastic sheeting for some spray work and then become something else.

The long cleat system allows me to move stuff about freely. Once moved it is semi permanent, readily available as opposed to stacked in the corner and difficult to get at "just till I finish this". So far it is working out well. All the fixtures can be found in other posts here at SMC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler