Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of plane did I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hallam View Post
    The handle is not made the same as the Union plane photo. It is not smoothed as well and has a different shape. I don't think it is a stanley either based on the lateral adjustment lever.
    Yeah, when you look at the handle, it doesn't look the same, but I was thinking that this was because of the angle that the picture was taken at and the lighting. I will post more pictures once I receive it. This is sort of like a grab bag, fun, nonetheless...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Yeah, when you look at the handle, it doesn't look the same, but I was thinking that this was because of the angle that the picture was taken at and the lighting. I will post more pictures once I receive it. This is sort of like a grab bag, fun, nonetheless...
    One has flat sides on the tote, the other has rounded sides. One looks to have more room between the handle and the adjuster.

The flat sides on the totes were used in as a way to cut costs. They are less work to make.

Some of the planes will look alike in a picture without anything to use as a scale to their size.

jim

Guys,

I received the plane, all is has cast in is No. 4, nothing else on the plane, not even the blade identify the maker. What do I need to post pictures of so that you guys can help identify.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Guys,

I received the plane, all is has cast in is No. 4, nothing else on the plane, not even the blade identify the maker. What do I need to post pictures of so that you guys can help identify.
    The end of the lateral adjuster and the top if it has any printing on it.

The frog without a blade installed. The base where the frog seats. Any markings on the casting may also be of help.

Even the screws maybe a clue to identification.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One has flat sides on the tote, the other has rounded sides. One looks to have more room between the handle and the adjuster.

The flat sides on the totes were used in as a way to cut costs. They are less work to make.

Some of the planes will look alike in a picture without anything to use as a scale to their size.

jim
    Ok, so it does have a name on it, on the back of the blade though. It is a Defiance plane, and after a little googling, it is identical to this one (except mine isn't corrugated):

http://www.jdgreene7.com/planes.html

The page says this:

The small plane is a Bailey Defiance No. 4 built between 1878 and 1884.

Can this thing be that old?

Blog Entries
    Stanley bought Defiance from Bailey.
    I know they made Defiance planes at different times, but do not know much about the different years.

I had one with Defiance by Stanley on the handle. It was a much more modern manufacture. It did not have a frog like the one in the picture.

The blade is curious on the site you have linked. Stanley did not have a blade with the large hole at the bottom until after 1888.
    Wonder if this has anything to do with them buying Defiance.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Stanley bought Defiance from Bailey.
    I know they made Defiance planes at different times, but do not know much about the different years.

I had one with Defiance by Stanley on the handle. It was a much more modern manufacture. It did not have a frog like the one in the picture.

The blade is curious on the site you have linked. Stanley did not have a blade with the large hole at the bottom until after 1888.
    Wonder if this has anything to do with them buying Defiance.

jim
    Jim,
    I have looked at many of the "Defiance by Stanley" branded planes and mine definitely is not one of those. I am pretty sure that mine pre-dates the buy out and looks to be just a Defiance branded plane. But looking through the history of Stanley, they bought Defiance in January of 1880. I sent an e-mail to the owner of the site that I linked above to see if he knew anything and have yet to receive a reply.

Does anyone know where else I might look to come up with some info. on Defiance planes? I have googled and not come up with much, and it is pretty difficult to wade through all of the "Defiance by Stanley" stuff...

Hmm, I just came across this:
    http://store.wvtools.com/stde2inplblw.html
    This stamping is identical to mine, but on the back it says Buffalo Tool Co., I didn't see this on mine, but since it is rusty maybe it is under there...
    Last edited by Ben Martin; 04-21-2008 at 9:33 PM.