Thread: I need your electric pressure washer opinions

Question I need your electric pressure washer opinions

I am looking for a decent low-priced electric pressure washer in the 1700-psi range. There seems to be two main contenders, the Karcher @ 1650 psi ($170) sold by Lowes & others and the Husky @ 1750 psi ($180) sold by Home Depot. Does anyone have experience with either of these? In doing some research it appears that the Karcher has a lousy reputation if you need parts or repairs. I have not been able to dig up anything on the Husky.

I know next to nothing about these machines, any help on making this decision would be greatly appreciated.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I bought the Husky at HD today...it was on clearance at $149. While it's not a super heavy duty beast, for that money, I couldn't resist as I've been wanting one to do general cleaning. It also met LOML's requirement that it not take up much space in HER garage bay...since my shop takes up the other three. No problem! (And she paid for the PW on the basis that I'd "work it off" has her house-boy"... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I bought the Husky at HD today...it was on clearance at $149. While it's not a super heavy duty beast, for that money, I couldn't resist as I've been wanting one to do general cleaning. It also met LOML's requirement that it not take up much space in HER garage bay...since my shop takes up the other three. No problem! (And she paid for the PW on the basis that I'd "work it off" has her house-boy"... )
    Thanks Jim, $149? I think I’ll stop by HD tomorrow and check it out.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hopefully, your local 'Depot will also have it at that price. One never knows...
    --

Bruce and Jim-question

I'm wondering what these machines are powerful enough to do. I rent one of the gas driven units once a year to clean off a concrete patio and stone faced retaining wall, and I'm probably gonna paint the house this year (unless I come to my senses), and I'll need to powerwash first. Are the electric machines such as the Husky powerful enough for these jobs, or should I stick to one of the gas-fired units? Thanks,

Jim-so what does being a houseboy entail? I could have that conversation with my wife if it sounds good.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    I'm wondering what these machines are powerful enough to do. I rent one of the gas driven units once a year to clean off a concrete patio and stone faced retaining wall, and I'm probably gonna paint the house this year (unless I come to my senses), and I'll need to powerwash first. Are the electric machines such as the Husky powerful enough for these jobs, or should I stick to one of the gas-fired units?
    The small electric units like this are not appropriate for heavy jobs, but are handy to have around for general cleaning. The pressure out of your tap just isn't enough to do some jobs and the boost from the pump helps out a lot. I'll suggest to you that you'd still want to rent the heavy duty unit for big jobs, but having a small one around for more regular use might cut down on the need to rent. Hitting that concrete a few times a year with a little unit could very well keep it nice and clean.

Jim-so what does being a houseboy entail? I could have that conversation with my wife if it sounds good.
    I'm sure it will sound good to HER! You basically have to satisfy her every whim...
    --

I have 2 Dalco units one is hot & cold 1000 lb electric heated by diesel fuel. The other Daalco unit is a gas powered 2500 lb unit that I ordered for cleaning here at the apartment complexes.

Make sure that the pressure washer you get is a well known make with a 3 piston pump & preferably a good Honda motor. There are some units out there that have Cat 3 piston pumps these are great units but Cat thinks they are making it out of gold & charges accordingly. A good General (brand name)3 piston pump will do well by you & the parts are not as expensive to purchase if you should need them. Make sure what ever unit you get that the water inlet has a real good fine mesh screen to keep fine grit out of the pump. Also if your plumbing hasn't been used in a while turn it on & let it run to help clean out any scale & junk in the plumbing. Stay away from rotory pumps they can be problematic.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I'm not an expert, but have quite a bit of power washing experience...so here comes my opion, good or not...

I would never, ever, EVER buy an electric. A couple of reasons:

Safety. Despite GFI breakers, plugs, etc., I just dont feel comfortable mixing water and electricity if it can be at all avoided.

Convenience. If you are working a ways from a plug, do you really want to run 2-3 hundred feet of extension cord? If you are working that far you can always draw water from a couple of 5 gal buckets, but you can't carry electricity in a bucket.

Cost. Initally, a gas powered unit will cost a bit more, bit not really that much. Durability is a factor in cost too though, and when it comes to useable life, gas powered outstrips electric by a WIDE margin

Additionally, I personally would not buy a unit, even for light home use, under 2000 psi.

BubbaBob

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade
    I'm wondering what these machines are powerful enough to do. I rent one of the gas driven units once a year to clean off a concrete patio and stone faced retaining wall, and I'm probably gonna paint the house this year (unless I come to my senses), and I'll need to powerwash first. Are the electric machines such as the Husky powerful enough for these jobs, or should I stick to one of the gas-fired units? Thanks,

Tony, I ended up buying the 1650psi Husky from HD. I had some stains on my concrete patio that would not come up – I even tried muratic acid (sp?) & wire brush! The little Husky unit cleaned them up beautifully. It took about 40 min. to do a 10X 12 area. These little guys are probably nowhere near as fast as the big boys but they seem to handle the small stuff well.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sade View Post
    ... I'm probably gonna paint the house this year (unless I come to my senses), and I'll need to powerwash first. Are the electric machines such as the Husky powerful enough for these jobs, or should I stick to one of the gas-fired units? Thanks,
    I just got finished doing some cleaning, sanding and coating with opaque stain on my cedar house. I have a typical electric Karcher which I find quite adequate for typical home jobs, and it worked to clean the areas where the old finish had degraded a lot and was flaking off due to excessive age/sun. Sides where the finish was still well adhered it was no help, not because of a lack of pressure but increasing the pressure against the wall would have seriously damaged the cedar before it did anything. If you are dealing with wood, be careful of pressure.

Necro Thread is from 2004. It was resurrected by a spammer who was removed.
    --

I have a good Landa electric pressure washer. I need to rebuild or replace the pump. I believe it is the normal Italian make, Reverberi? Problem is I can not find any references to this particular pump. It has a cast in mount for direct bolt on to a C-face motor. Not an engine mount. Being 120 volt it is only one horsepower so about equal to 3hp gas engine.
    Bill D

I realize this thread is close to 20 years old, but I guess people will keep looking anyway. Mi-T-M is on my short list of brands I'm loyal to. This is a little electric one I keep hooked up, ready to go. All I have to do is push a button.

Every time the mower finishes for the day, it gets pressure washed in a minute before it comes back into the shop. To wash one of the vehicles, it gets the loose dirt knocked off of it first with the pressure washer. Tractors smell better when they're clean, so they get blasted once in a while to.

The amount of time it gets used is directly proportional to how easy they are to use. Any time the door to this shop gets opened, it's right there and ready to work at the push of a button.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Menards one purchased for $239 on sale, does 2200 psi. I did have a Briggs & Stratton it too was electric and did fine until the pump cracked and started leaking!! I have zero issues with electric, they are on a grounded GFI outlet and another built into the unit cord. Gas, had and got tired of the hassle of keeping it running and then hearing the pop off go every time you stopped spraying.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Bob, I agree fully with every point you made. So why did I buy an electric? I don’t like messing with the gas engines. I’m down to two internal combustion engines in my life. We have a minivan and we have a lawn tractor that can convert to a big snow blower. For something like a pressure washer that I might use a couple of times a year, the gas engine is too much hassle.